Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Drop Them Beats thread of Music

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 10 months ago #27095

• SlowShow
  • Tell 'em play Metro Boomin at my funeral

So that's just a normal run of new releases in a 24h period. jfc this year
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 9 months ago #27217

Stupid Tidal. Hate how platform exclusivity has become a thing. At least it's just for streaming.

YEEZY SEASON ARRIVED.

Listened to T.L.O.P a few times already. I think it's Kanye West's most inconsistent album. It's thematically and aesthetically, all over the place. In a way, it's reminiscent of Graduation, but T.L.O.P is definitely better than that album with the quality of songs on here. But it's also has a touch of every album Kanye West has done.

The production is excellent as usual with the exception of 3 or so 'safe' and uninspired instrumentals. I feel like T.L.O.P is at its best when it's at its quietest, when usually, it's the moments of the bombastic and grandiose that stick out with his previous albums.

Ultralight Beam
:ohshit:
But I'm not too sure how I feel that the 'peak' of the album is front-loaded as the very first track. Because I dont think I care, this album is so all over the place where pressing 'shuffle' will provide the same impact.

Hopefully Kanye West will expose the illuminati on his next album as he has planned to. Then unveil the mystery regarding the whereabouts of his missing laptop. And break his own record for saying the word "Kanye" 24 times in one song. etc etc.
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Supa Hot Fire.

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 9 months ago #27218

• SlowShow
It's at least 4 tracks too long and at least another 4 sound only 75% done, but it's growing on me. The inconsistency really doesn't help either, hopefully the Kanye stans can figure out an alternate track order that actually works.

I'm between Ultralight, FML and Waves for best track so far, and shoutout to Facts for setting the new world record for highest amazing beat:horrendous lyrics ratio.

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 9 months ago #27234

The album works well when you stop it at "Wolves" and then treat the rest as bonus tracks. Then just put Track 9 in between every song to give the songs more breathing space and reinforce the greatness of that song.

He's pulled the album from sale and is fixing Wolves. This guy is actually doing a music equivalent of a day 1 patch. I'd be sad if he takes out the awesomely awful "You tried to play nice, everybody just took advantage, You left your fridge open, somebody just took a sandwich" line.

It's just so odd how the album is put together. The track listing changes, the undecided title, the Chance's feature that delayed the record - just so last minute. Lol if he's just pulling some weird Meta-nonsense about the album, Even the album cover describes the album so well.

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 9 months ago #27237

• SlowShow
If nothing else, it's definitely the all-time champ for cringe-entertaining Kanye lines. Trying to choose between the sandwich one and "for all the girls that got dick from Kanye West/If you see them in the streets give them Kanye's best" is like trying to choose your favourite child. Even Sugarhill Gang thinks it's a bit much.

Yeah it's interesting, I think all the reviews I've read have pointed out you could give TLOP to another producer and they could cut it down to a 30-40 minute banger, but it would lose that innate Kanye-ness, and I don't think I disagree. It's just so honest and inside Kanye's head beyond even what 808s or MBDTF were that the messiness seems integral to the experience.

Think my favourite part of the launch is 30 Hours referencing the albums own MSG launch show. 6000 years from now someone is going to find a copy of TLOP and think Kanye was a goddamn time-travelling wizard.

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 9 months ago #27323

• SlowShow

I made Sunday Candy so I'm never going to hell
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by SlowShow.

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 9 months ago #27598

• SlowShow
Yo can we get a Kendrick emoji?

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 8 months ago #28105

• SlowShow
It's the 10th anniversary of King, which is just a disgustingly good album:

If I ever get my hands on a time machine I'm 1) killing Hitler and b) hanging out in early-mid 00's Atlanta

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 8 months ago #28147

SlowShow wrote:
It's at least 4 tracks too long and at least another 4 sound only 75% done, but it's growing on me. The inconsistency really doesn't help either, hopefully the Kanye stans can figure out an alternate track order that actually works.

I'm between Ultralight, FML and Waves for best track so far, and shoutout to Facts for setting the new world record for highest amazing beat:horrendous lyrics ratio.

Kayne IS the illuminati! But it's typical Ricky....

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 6 months ago #29369

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
I'm steadily becoming a fan of these guys.

I'm lovin it.

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 6 months ago #29374

Anyone here listen to Radiohead's new album A Moon Shaped Pool? It's soul crushingly fantastic.

The album is this motif of anguish that just sounds so serene and organic in its execution. There’s a more natural and almost acoustic approach to the instrumentation that provides this soft overarching aesthetic. It would have been quite dry on its own, but it’s accommodated with layers of vibrant arpeggiation to create some of the most beautiful and ornate texture work that the band has ever assembled. Then you have these occasional string and vocal crescendos that ease in evenly throughout the album that present some moments of theatrical highs, but it’s arranged and performed with delicacy and grace to retain the albums solemn tone. It all comes together to create an album that sounds ambient without ever sounding empty, fragile without ever being frustrating, grandiose without sounding too flamboyant.

I cant fault Thom’s vocal performance here either. He consistently excels at painting such a painful atmosphere. It’s rich with its imagery and at his best moments, interpretive in how obfuscated the songwriting is. Thom was the saviour of their rather underwhelming previous album, but it’s great that he is accommodated by production and instrumentation that’s so coherent and polished in this one.

The lead single that was put out some week ago is a great track. Though, it’s not my favourite on the album. It's the black sheep in how it sonically sounds compared to the rest of a Moon Shaped Pool. It’s the only song on the album that has synthesis that’s quite accentuated and it’s the only song that reaches into more harsh and violent territory. Regardless, it's such a strong and fitting opener.

The lead pizzicato strings are so deceptive as an overtone that bursts up some initial tension, but there's a looming undercurrent that drives this haunting atmosphere to engulf the song during the chorus. The two layers metamorphose and resonate gradually throughout the song, backing away to introduce the string crescendos that reoccur throughout the album. Then that initial tension grows to evolve into this violent and dissonant conclusion and the album begins.

/gush

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 6 months ago #29384

• SlowShow
New Radiohead is amazing and it might not even be one of the five best albums released in the past two weeks. WATTBA

(Chance > Jessy Lanza > Radiohead/Anohni/White Lung/Skepta/James Blake)

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 6 months ago #29386

• Aljosa
  • Where is Dear Tommy?
I prefer the new Julianna Barwick to all of those. Jessy Lanza and James Blake ones are good stuff.

Yumi Zouma debut album is out in a few days. AOTY I am predicting

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 6 months ago #29389

• SlowShow
Ohfuck the Kaytranada album is amazing too and I forgot the new Death Grips even existed :kanye:

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 6 months ago #29423

• Aljosa
  • Where is Dear Tommy?

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 6 months ago #29424

• 7flow
Aljosa wrote: this is already the most hipster link of the year but will check her out

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 6 months ago #29452

• 7flow
I hate you Aljousa Yumi Zouma is actually good.

Barricade on replay.

keep it close is also good.

what else you got for me Aljousa?
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by 7flow.

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 6 months ago #29461

• Aljosa
  • Where is Dear Tommy?
Glad you liked it, Carl.

Some other stuff I enjoyed from this year:
Memoryhouse - Soft Hate
Chairlift - Moth
Japanese Breakfast - Psycho Pomp
Esperenza Spalding - Emily's D+Evolution
Kedr Livanskiy - January Sun
Jessy Lanza - Oh No
Anderson .Paak - Malibu

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 6 months ago #29544

• SlowShow
It's no Chano but yeah, that Yumi Zouma record ain't too shabby. *heart eyes emoji* Barricade *heart eyes emoji*

Drop Them Beats thread of Music 3 years 6 months ago #29545

• Aljosa
  • Where is Dear Tommy?