Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: First head transplant is happening soon.

First head transplant is happening soon. 3 years 1 month ago #20471

Ok so for the last several days I came to some interesting stories about new discoveries in science.

The first literally heartless man.

How his body works right now is not something that I have looked for yet, I mean without pulse how do you know if someone is still alive? how about heart rate for doing a workout or something like that? lots of questions.

I know it's probably just for people who are not gonna move around a lot but still it's still scary, is it possible you can't ever get scared? or shocked? ...etc..etc..

Second is immortality or life expectancy.

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-...laims-scientist.html

The last and the most terrifying of them all and at the same time it's hilarious is the head transplant.

www.ibtimes.co.uk/neurosurgeon-sergio-ca...d-transplant-1497034

I mean it's fucking funny if I wake up one day with my head on top of a black body :lol: :lol: :lol:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

First head transplant is happening soon. 3 years 1 month ago #20472

• SlowShow
  • Tell 'em play Metro Boomin at my funeral
1) The heart's just a glorified pump, so his body isn't really functioning any differently (although it would be interesting to see what pressure the artificial heart runs at and how that might affect his vasculature since it's running at constant pressure rather than systolic/diastolic). You don't just use heart rate to tell if someone's alive anyway, so long as the artificial heart itself hasn't failed it would actually make things a little easier (no need to worry about heart rate or blood pressure). And yeah, anyone who has an artificial heart isn't going to be able to exercise or undergo any strenuous activity because they won't be able to increase blood flow. You could still be scared/shocked since that's more of a neural/hormonal thing, although it might feel kind of weird since your HR would stay constant instead of the usual increase.

2) It's an interesting thought experiment, but like the saying goes anything that's 25 years away will remain 25 years away indefinitely. I can kind of buy the 150 thing, but even that presupposes some incredible luck and/or medical breakthroughs.

3) I guess if the patient truly understands the risks and I don't have to pay for it? Head transplants have been done on animals so we know they work in theory, but like the article says we don't know how to reconnect the spinal cord so I don't see how this improves quality of life at all.

First head transplant is happening soon. 3 years 1 month ago #20480

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?

First head transplant is happening soon. 3 years 1 month ago #20482

I believe paired with technological advances, the average life expectancy will be anywhere between 150-200 years. I imagine something like this will initially come with some kind of catch.

As for head transplants, the fact they're not quite sure how to reattach the spinal cord is enough for me to think of it as just as bad idea. Besides, I don't see why anyone would want a head different than the one they already have. I would also feel uneasy just knowing doctors happen to have a spare human head lying around.
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by mooksi?.

First head transplant is happening soon. 3 years 1 month ago #20485

Jecht wrote:

WTF?? :woohoo:

WTF is this shit?? what is real now??

:ohshit:
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Mad_Inputs.

First head transplant is happening soon. 3 years 1 month ago #20490

KOJIMAAAAA