Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 7 months ago #14132

  • SmithytheGooner
  • SmithytheGooner's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 'It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese.'
  • Posts: 304
Patches wrote:
Jecht wrote:

As opposed to what though? This service already exists, its already successful, this is just free money for them at that point. If you want HBO shows, you either pirate or pay for it. There is no other option.

Do you consider mooching off their parent's or friend's account pirating? Cause if that's still an option, it's gonna be the route everyone takes.

I mean, at that price people are gonna either settle for Netflix/Hulu, continue to search for ways to mooch HBO Go, and/or outright pay for full-fledged cable. You're not gonna draw in new costumers by asking them to pay triple what they already do for other comparable services.

HBO has stated in the past that they don't care about Go account mooching, I believe. So it's likely they will continue not caring.

Like everyone said, they are still getting the big cable money (something Netflix isn't getting) through partnerships and they are already a super successful established sub service through cable.

That said 19.99 does feel like the sweet spot with 24.99 max. If it is 29.99 I'll be shocked and sad. :(

Here is a question, does anyone think they'll lock you into a contract similar to the WWE Network? You know, pay 19.99 a month but you are locked for 6 months and you can't cancel, or pay 24.99 a month and you can cancel anytime.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 7 months ago #14133

  • Jecht
  • Jecht's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Did you say nerd?
  • Posts: 3966
If they think they can get away with it, yes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 7 months ago #14154

  • Aljosa
  • Aljosa's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Where is Dear Tommy?
  • Posts: 1229
$300 for the year.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 7 months ago #14160

  • SmithytheGooner
  • SmithytheGooner's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • 'It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese.'
  • Posts: 304
www.cnet.com/news/hbo-may-price-online-o...rvice-at-15-a-month/

Looks like it may start at $15 a month.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 7 months ago #14162

  • Patches
  • Patches's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Meeeargh
  • Posts: 686
$15 sounds good.

Still not sure why you guys thought it would be more than $20. Why would it cost more when it's not bundled with cable? Do the cable companies subsidize their shows or something? I mean, who needs who more here? It's 2014. The cable companies need HBO more than HBO needs the cable companies. It's not like they're gonna go and outright drop HBO because the company decides to do their own thing on the side. Hell, isn't this also an example of cutting out the middle man? If you cut the cable companies out of the equation, all of that $15 goes to HBO rather than just a fraction. So again, why would they charge more?

inb4 "cause they can"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 7 months ago #14163

  • Jecht
  • Jecht's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Did you say nerd?
  • Posts: 3966
$15 is still a rumor, that source is shaky. If it's $15 it screws over their entire existing customer base and the cable companies. I just don't think they will do that.
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Jecht.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 7 months ago #14178

Patches wrote:

inb4 "cause they can"
You say this like HBO is some scrub cable channel who totally doesn't do business how they fucking want?

"because they can" and "can get away with it" is usually why HBO does a lot of things.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 7 months ago #14191

  • SlowShow
  • SlowShow's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Tell 'em play Metro Boomin at my funeral
  • Posts: 479
I think the part of this people are missing is HBO/Time Warner are trying to sell this as the "right" (i.e. cable-friendly, i.e. paid fast-lanes and data caps and fun shit like that) way to do streaming, so service providers aren't necessarily going to see this as some huge slap in the face. HBO's argument is all they're doing in the long run is shifting revenue from cable subs to internet subs, and there's also that trojan horse element of "hey, if HBO Go can make fast lanes work, then it's a hell of a lot harder for Netflix et al. to bitch about them".

As for consumers, well, you'd assume cable providers are going to change their HBO pricing in line with Go, or people are just going to cancel their HBO cable sub and go streaming-only. The only people who really would get screwed are those locked into shitty contracts, and the cable co is going to take the blame for that.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 7 months ago #14204

  • Patches
  • Patches's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Meeeargh
  • Posts: 686
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
Patches wrote:

inb4 "cause they can"
You say this like HBO is some scrub cable channel who totally doesn't do business how they fucking want?

"because they can" and "can get away with it" is usually why HBO does a lot of things.

HBO doesn't seem very anti-consumer to me. At least not when the alternative is "because we can" incarnate, a.k.a.big cable.

And honestly, I'm of the opinion that they can't, remember? If this new service turns out to be, say, $30/month I think it'll tank.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 7 months ago #14205

Well I would argue its not anti-consumer (you people throw that word around way too much), as much as its their perception of their market value.

IF they are making buckets with their cable deals, and they can swing a reasonable subscriber base at 20+, they will and can do it, because they can, because they are HBO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 5 months ago #15382

HBO has had an online streaming service in Norway for about 2 years so far. It tries to compete with Netflix I believe. It costs $13 dollars a month which in Norway is about the cost of a decent sandwich from a baker or 7,5 liters of coke.

HBO is not in any way a popular TV Channel in Norway because HBO is pretty new and has sold most of their good shows to various channels here so a lot of what they offer can be gotten in reruns on free channels.

There is simply no way they could market a streaming service which required HBO on a cable subscription here.

I have a friend who uses it to watch Game of Thrones and he gets the shows with subtitles a couple of hours after they air in the US, which is in the middle of the night here.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Cook66.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 2 months ago #18886

  • Patches
  • Patches's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Meeeargh
  • Posts: 686
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Patches.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 2 months ago #18888

  • Jecht
  • Jecht's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Did you say nerd?
  • Posts: 3966
Patches wrote:
*Only on AppleTV Streaming devices and Web Browsers
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Jecht.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HBO announces stand alone streaming service for 2015 3 years 1 month ago #20382

  • Jecht
  • Jecht's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Did you say nerd?
  • Posts: 3966
The HBOnow app is trash. It doesn't even have the same functionality as the Go app.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Powered by Kunena Forum