Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thread of Endless Movies

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 4 months ago #34451

• 7flow
The Graduate 1967
★★★★★
I cant believe I waited so long to watch this masterpiece. I knew the film was going to deliver as soon as "hello darkness" kicked in. I love how Ben became a confident asshole towards the end. The characters, acting, and soundtrack were all on point. Ben coming to realize that the chase was better than the reward is genius. I can see myself coming back to watch this.

They Live by Night 1948
★★★
I was looking forward to this for a while but it kinda disappointed me. I know this is one of the first of it's kind, and it shows. It was nice and simple, but then the melodrama over took the film. My favorite scenes all took place in the car.

Welcome to the Dollhouse 1995
★★★★★
Welcome to the dollhouse is a fucked up coming of age story. I say this because kids can be cruel for no reason. It is something everyone has experienced growing up. I can relate to this film because middle school was the the worst time of my life. I felt so bad for the lead character but couldn't stop smiling throughout the film. I guess this this what you call a dark comedy.

The 400 Blows 1959
★★★½
Another film that helped kickstart the neo French wave. I like to think of it as the anti-Breathless. 400 blows is a lot of substance with little flash. You are shown the life of a boy whose life spirals into that of crime, and loneliness. I appreciate how each scene is well thought out and highly detailed. I like to think that 400 blows is a reality that could have happened to Director if he didn't fall in love with films. Overall Children can be assholes but that doesn't mean they deserve to be given up on.

Breathless 1960
★★★
I respect Breathless for its role in cinema but as film it is meh. The best part are the gorgeous actors, and the sometimes stylish shots that come without warning. The plot is simple and the words are spoken with no soul. The American to French acting is kinda jarring, and the protagonist is legit an asshole. His detachment to the world makes it hard to care about his problems.

All the Boys Are Called Patrick 1959

★★★
Godard has a thing for womanizers

Watership Down 1978
★★★
Finally got to watch this legendary film. The animation and voice acting doesn't hold up but it is still worth a watch. The film got so dark towards the end.

The Double Life of Veronique 1991
★★★★
After watching the three colors trilogy, I had to watch more of the directors work. The double life of Veronique did not disappoint. Irène Jacob delivers a stunning performance. The camera work is great, and the use of colors would later set the tone for the three colors trilogy. The imagery, items, and locations strengthen the bond the two women share.

Three Colors: Red 1994
★★★★
The last installment of the three colors trilogy, but also the best one. Red manages to capture the gorgeous imagery of Blue, while delivering a more engaging plot. The ending wraps up the trilogy nicely, but makes me wonder about the timeline of white.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 3 months ago #34453

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT

Looks outstanding! I absolutely love this director's other work and this looks every bit as good. Can't wait to see it.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 3 months ago #34454

• 7flow
La Haine 1995
★★★★
A relevant take on how immigrants and people of color are treated by higher society. If you love "do the right thing" then you will appreciate this. Crazy how Countries in Europe aren't any better.

Elevator to the Gallows 1958
★★★★½
Great simple noir that holds your attention throughout. The director of this film was only 24 and it wa his debut..amazing.

Hiroshima Mon Amour 1959
★★★★
Beautiful film with an opening you won't ever forget. A one night stand turns into a sad romance. What holds this film back for me is how the woman goes on and on about her loss. The conversation becomes one sided, and the words become more pretentious by the minute. You feel time is being wasted on her rather than the tragedy of Hiroshima. Overall the first half of the film is definitely the best part. The ending is so damn good.

Masculin Féminin 1966

Probably the most pretentious film I have ever seen. Godard takes everything I dislike about his films and cranks the dial to 10.

Le Petit Soldat 1963
★★½
The political context got in the way of the romance. The girl felt like a plot device, and at times the scenes were just flat out boring.

Vivre Sa Vie 1962
★★★
Great opening, beautiful scenes, and a cool plot structure. Unfortunately the asshole lead and the abrupt ending spoil the movie.

The Red Shoes 1948
★★★★★
The red shoes is a visual masterpiece that was ahead of it's time. I still can't believe this film released almost 70 years ago. The massive performance and backstage insight of the red shoes is magnificent. If you have a love for visual arts you must see this immediately.

A Story of Water 1961
★★★
My favorite short from Goddard because it is so simple.

Charlotte and Her Boyfriend 1960

★★½
Practice run for Breathless
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by 7flow.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 3 months ago #34465

• 7flow
Death Note 2017 ★★

Le Samurai’s review published on Letterboxd :
To the surprise of no one "Death Note" is a lousy film. It had potential due to the casting, director, and American setting but failed. Before breaking down why, let's start with the good: Willem Dafoe. Dafoe delivers great voice acting, that goes perfect with the unsettling image of Ryuk. Speaking of Ryuk the best shot scenes are when Ryuk is overlooking our characters. The next best thing is Mia;the love interest of Light. Mia is more complex than her anime version. She is not only capable of killing, but more deadly than light.

Now let's talk about the bad, which is everything else. For someone who shot "You're Next", and "The Guest" I expected at least decent shots. Adam Wingard decides to film everything up close, taking away from the background, and putting us too close to the character's faces. When action happens it becomes annoying especially towards the end. The film looked bland, and lacked style. L played by Keith Stanfield was terrible. The character was straight up cartoony, which was jarring against the rest of the cast.Even light had to roll his eyes at L's backstory. Keith Stanfield overacted, and his character's mood was all over the place. The writing was bad as well, and sentences were being spoken that didn't quite fit with the characters. Despite so many rules of the death note, none of it is really mattered till the end. Light pulled so many ass grabs it makes you think when did he have time to do it. The film would have been better if Light and L had more time to play cat and mouse.

Overall, Death note was doomed to fail due to the creators not knowing what made the series great to begin with.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 3 months ago #34468

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
It Stains the Sands Red

Lead actress is really good, the core concept of a person being stalked through the desert by a lone zombie is kewl, and it's executed well enough. Eventually it shits the bed, but for the most part it's a solid and unique zombie flick.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Shake.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 3 months ago #34484

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Krisha

I'm so happy I finally gave this movie a chance because it's amazing fam. I can't believe this thing wasn't a major contender at last years' academy awards. It's one of the most powerful films I've seen in a while. Everything about this movie is just fuckin... wow. And those final 10 minutes man, they will shatter the strongest of hearts.

10/10
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Shake.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 3 months ago #34485

• silvur
  • Rendez-vous avec la mort

Damn good, Veep misses him/10

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 3 months ago #34487

• 7flow
The Tale of Zatôichi Continues 1962
★★★½
Zatoichi was so good they made a direct sequel. The film picks off where the last film left off. Tons of returning characters and callbacks. What makes this film stellar is the tighter pacing. The action scenes come more often, and the battles are larger. If you have ever seen lone wolf&cub you will feel at home here. Zatoichi's rival this time is his own brother. His brother reveals crucial plot details that will no doubt affect future films. The story is a little weaker due to due all the action scenes, but this is still a worthy sequel.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin IV – Eve of Destiny 2016
★★★★
Eve of Destiny is an accurate title, because it covers the events the year before the war starts. We are also shown the first MS battle. The pacing is on par with the third film, which is my favorite so far. Downside is this film is close to borderline fanservice. The fan service is too on the noise sometimes.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin II – Artesia’s Sorrow 2015
★★★½
The events that lead to Char joining the Zeon academy. I love all the extra details, that you can't find anywhere else.

The Belko Experiment 2016
★★★
Bellko Experiment is like battle royale but with almost three times the people. The concept is awesome, but a lot of the action is stuff you probably seen from other films. If you love the purge series, and looking for a rental this is the film.

The Tale of Zatôichi 1962
★★★★
Warning I decided to marathon the whole series, so my reviews will be slightly different.

The Tale of Zatoichi is a fantastic film, that blends the gangsta life of yakuza, and samurai. The film builds up the fight between Ichi the blind swordsman, and Hirate the ill. The final duel is amazing, and Ichi's speech of the Yakuza is something I won't forget soon. Like a mix of Yojimbo and Seven Samurai.

Mystery Train 1989
★★★★
Glad I managed to watch this before it left Filmstruck. Three awesome stories of people close to each other, but never meeting. I loved the Japanese couple the most. Their expectations of America, and the reality shock made them the most complex. Also Joe Strummer plays a British Elvis presley.

Violent Cop 1989
★★★★ rry that is outright amazing. Nothing else to say, that the title doesn't already tell you. The film is extremely violent.

Ghost in the Shell 2017
★★★
Ghost in the shell has it's problems, but it is still amazingly the best anime adaption of the year. The film makes the plot simpler to understand, but also spends more time explaining than doing. Scarlett Johansson did nothing for the film, choosing to whitewash Major was terrible. It was a weird choice, giving how everything else was faithful to the original film, even most of the scenes were the same. The live adaption has the better plot, but the original does everything else better.

Unbreakable 2000
★★★★
Unbreakable really was ahead of it's time. It takes the classic comic trope of good vs evil and reinvents it.

The Terrorizers 1986
★★★★
The terrorizers is an interesting film because the first half leaves you with a lot of questions. How do these people come to together, where is this going, and what does the film title mean. Slowly but surely everything starts to unravel, and you fully appreciate what Yang has done. By the end of the film you are left foolish for ever doubting Yang. Taste of cinema did a great breakdown of the film, and it's meaning that opened my mind for a rewatch. www.tasteofcinema.com/2012/classic-chine...ema-the-terrorizers/

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 2 months ago #34494

• silvur
  • Rendez-vous avec la mort

It's fine, makes me wanna rewatch The Room, just clips of it though/10

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 2 months ago #34502

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT

I want this to be good, but I know better.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 2 months ago #34524

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Wonder Woman - 8/10 - 'tis my favorite comic book flick of 2017. Still don't give a shit about the new DCEU though...

Spider-Man: Homecoming - 7/10 - best Spidermang since 2004, lol.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 - 5/10 - meh, felt like this one was trying too hard. I enjoyed the first way more.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 2 months ago #34525

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
silvur wrote:
kabphillie wrote:
Wonder Woman. Was great. A bit bloated with CGI at the end, but the first 2/3 of the movie was excellent.

Also just recently watched this.

But yea, last 3rd...too iffy but looks like they're slowly getting their stride with these things.

Oh I loved that shit, and I'm typically the guy bitching about climaxes in superhero flicks. Wonder Woman's didn't feel needlessly drawn out and over the top to me like, say, Man of Steel's or BvS's did. I think that's partially due to some pretty decent writing and build up.

(SPOILERS for both Wonder Woman and Spiderman Homecoming)

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed that movie from beginning to end. I can't say the same for most other comic book flicks these days. Wonder Woman felt special to me. Also I'm not trying to hate on Homecoming, I just think it didn't handle it's villain well in the 3rd act, whereas Wonder Woman handled it exceptionally hence the comparison. But everything else about Homecoming I enjoyed, it was really fun. Wonder Woman was just fuckin epic to me.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Shake.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 1 month ago #34554

• 7flow
Divius Gif of the month
Source: Blade Runner

Welcome all to

-made by Wandering

Rules: 1. Be nice, be civil, use common sense 2. Respect the opinions of other members, no matter how wrong they are 3. Use spoiler tags accordingly 4. Have fun, we’re all here because we love movies
DO NOT just post the title of the movie you watched. It isn't conducive to the kind of discussion & communication we want to engender here, because it tells us nothing of you, the movie, the impact of the latter on the former. Post scores, descriptions, essays, poems, gifs, hashtags, whatever provides you the best outlet for personal expression, you unique little digital snowflake. - icarus-daedelus
Want to introduce yourself? Welcome to the Movies You've Seen Recently thread! Let us know a bit about yourself: 1. What's your favorite Movie? 2. Who's your favorite director? 3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses? 4. Favorite Genre(s)? 5. What's your favorite performance in film? Useful external links: Letterboxd ICheckMovies Unsure of what to watch? Just ask for recommendations in here. We don’t bite!
Letterboxd • Your life in film

In future months, ill reintroduce the Wall of Shame

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 1 month ago #34557

• 7flow
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by 7flow.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 1 month ago #34558

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Why are you shilling on a dead forum, 7?

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 1 month ago #34577

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
I saw Wind River!! (2017)

I was pretty hyped to see this as it's written & directed by the Sicario and Hell or High Water writer guy dude (love those flicks) and I wasn't really disappointed. It shares a lot of the same strengths as those movies and the direction is surprisingly good considering this is a first timer we're talking about. He ain't no Denis Villeneuve but Sheridan is clearly more than capable of adapting his own work to the screen. 

Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch are both really good, as is most of the supporting cast (and Sheridan does not write boring supporting characters. That's one of his most interesting traits). The real star of the movie is Wyoming though. It's beautiful and provides the perfect backdrop for this solid mystery/thriller. Fabulous movie if you're into this sorta stuff.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Shake.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 1 month ago #34579

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Thor: Ragnarok - 8/10

I'd say it ranks up there with Marvel's best. Movie is a lot fun and the premise is creative and refreshing. They go a little overboard with the jokes at certain points though, which was my biggest problem with Guardians 2, but this didn't get that ridiculous. Maybe lay off the comedy just a bit is all I'm asking, Marvel. It's still okay to play things straight from time to time in a superhero movie. Worked in Logan, worked in Wonder Woman.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Shake.

Thread of Endless Movies 1 year 11 months ago #34613

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT

Epic.