Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thread of Endless Movies

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34366

• kabphillie
  • The Doctor is Real In.
Wonder Woman. Was great. A bit bloated with CGI at the end, but the first 2/3 of the movie was excellent.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34367

• silvur
  • Rendez-vous avec la mort
kabphillie wrote:
Wonder Woman. Was great. A bit bloated with CGI at the end, but the first 2/3 of the movie was excellent.

Also just recently watched this.

But yea, last 3rd...too iffy but looks like they're slowly getting their stride with these things.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34369

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me - 5/5

As is typical with a lot of Lynch flicks I didn't always have a firm understanding of what was happening in the movie, but this is one of the most powerful films I've seen in a long ass time. I can't believe this was universally panned when it first came out. Hell, even now it's still not recognized as a great movie by a lot of people. Mother fuckers have no taste. Sheryl Lee is incredible.

SPOILERS IN FOLLOWING VIDEO:
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Shake.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34377

• Laz
The Deer Hunter '78 - 4.5/5

I finished this last night. Good film with alot of character development. Slow to start but intentional. One of the better Vietnam flicks.

Trainspotting '96 - 5/5

Probably my all time favorite film. If the characters and themes don't appeal to you, the cinematography will, as its one of the most visually striking films ever made. The Recent sequel is a great time too.

Taxi Driver '76 5/5

Probably the best film ever made.Its a character study. go watch.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34378

I saw Spider-Man Homecoming. It was okay.

I really like Tom Holland's performance. It's light years ahead of the Andrew Garfield version of the character, though I prefer the Raimi/Tobey version of the character. And every scene with him is an absolute delight, he's got charisma n more importantly, some energy to his performance. What I think probably hurts the movie most is that the character arc n overall story told is some bog standard shit. Even the villain isn't all that interesting, even though the set up totally should be and thematically should bring a point home. But, not really.

And the moment to moment writing maybe overkills it on the jokes, but I laughed so who really gives a shit? namasayin. But The actual story arc did nothing for me, and the action itself was pretty underwhelming. Doesn't help that I've been watching a lot of fun action flicks lately, and saw Baby Driver last week.

Overall the movie is aight, with a fun lead.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Beacon_of_Truth.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34381

• kabphillie
  • The Doctor is Real In.
Passengers.

Meh.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34382

• 7flow
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

I really like Tom Holland's performance. It's light years ahead of the Andrew Garfield version of the character, though I prefer the Raimi/Tobey version of the character. And every scene with him is an absolute delight, he's got charisma n more importantly, some energy to his performance. What I think probably hurts the movie most is that the character arc n overall story told is some bog standard shit. Even the villain isn't all that interesting, even though the set up totally should be and thematically should bring a point home. But, not really.

And the moment to moment writing maybe overkills it on the jokes, but I laughed so who really gives a shit? namasayin. But The actual story arc did nothing for me, and the action itself was pretty underwhelming. Doesn't help that I've been watching a lot of fun action flicks lately, and saw Baby Driver last week.

:ponder: Andrew was good. blame the script. and you prefer Raimi version? oh lord.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34385

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
7flow wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

:ponder: Andrew was good. blame the script. and you prefer Raimi version? oh lord.

Yeah I can't get on board with this. The New Peter is the best film portrayal of the character we have seen. They absolutely nailed it.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34388

7flow wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

Garfield is plenty good as an actor, but I'm saying I don't care for the character from Amazing Spiderman.

And yeah, for starters I'm not beholden to the whole "Spiderman needs to shit talk" just like in the grand scheme of things it doesn't bother me that Nolan's Batman isn't all that much of a "detective". It's not as essential to me about the character. Amazing Spiderman's parker came off as a prick.

Raimi/Tobey's version comes off overwhelmed and has more compelling character arcs in both of his Spiderman films (fuck 3, obviously). Tom Holland's has more energy and does the witty remarks in a manner that is fun, and not a dickwagon so he's probably more in line with the ideal comic character was or whatever, but as fun as the movie was, didn't care all that much for the character arc in the movie.

I certainly am not bothered by Mcguire having a double chin.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34392

• 7flow
Holland is the best of both. Andrew was a great spider-man, and Tobey was amazing playing Peter.

Spider-man 2 is still the best one imo.

Vulture is my favorite with Dr.Octopus coming in second.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 4 months ago #34415

I've watched a bunch of movies this past month or so. Both at home and at the theater.

Baby Driver is naturally lit.

Ran through the Spidermans obviously

Ran through the new Planet of the Apes trilogy. Like Serkis enough in these movies, but I wish I saw Dawn in theaters because it was pretty good (plus Koba tank sequence is the shit). Because War was enjoyable enough, but it's aight. A lot of its emotional beats feel contrived, it meanders longer than it should for the sake of info dumps and so Ceaser can be monkey moses, and Woody Harrelson's character is paper thin. Plus I think the climax is a bit of a cop out.

Saw Raiders of the Lost Ark, that movie is amazing.

Saw The Nice Guys, and it is criminal how poorly that movie did at the box office. It's so fun.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 4 months ago #34425

• funsohng
  • Torontonian
Dunkirk

Fucking Tom Hardy has something on his face again, still can't understand shit he's saying.
Also, I'm so thankful that Jonathan Nolan didn't write this.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 4 months ago #34428

• 7flow
Dunkirk 2017
★★★★
Dunkirk is a tightly edited film that delivers great sound design, stunning visuals, and gripping dilemmas. The film manages to invade problems that have plagued previous Nolan films. The best thing about Dunkirk is also the worst thing about it. The movie is too clean, and feels as if Nolan was more interested in capturing pretty shots. The score is amazing but often interferes with character interactions. There is not much depth to the characters and they honestly feel like plot vessels. Despite those flaws Dunkirk is one of the finest films of 2017, and will definitely get award buzz

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 4 months ago #34440

• 7flow
Blood Simple 1984
★★★½
Solid first film from the Coen brothers, but outside a few scenes it is nothing to write home about. It's biggest strengths are the sound design, mood, and violence.

Eraserhead 1977
★★★★
Eraserhead is and will probably be one of the strangest films you will ever see. The film focuses on imagery, unsettling sounds, and eerie atmosphere to capture you. People looking for plot, or an introduction to Lynch should start somewhere else first.

Fallen Angels 1995
★★★★
The music, experimental shots, and wide range emotions immerse you in this spiritual sequel to "Chungking express." No one makes a Film quite like Wong.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 4 months ago #34441

• 7flow
Apocalypse Now 1979
★★★★
One of the most iconic war films, that captures the insanity of the Vietnam war.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 4 months ago #34444

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
I watched Predator 1 & 2 the other day. Been a long time since I've seen them but both movies are still a class act. Predator 2 still seems to have a bad rep which pisses me off. It's a fantastic sequel. I love both these movies.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Shake.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 4 months ago #34446

• 7flow
Three Colors: Blue 1993
★★★
I wasn't too impressed with Blue, but I loved the beginning scene. Acting and technical aspects were great. The story was bleak and the characters are distant and sometimes boring. I won't deny Buniche plays a great depressed woman. The theme of liberty through death is not a new concept in film, but still a surprising approach for this trilogy. I look forward to the next two colors. Edit: I was told to go back after finishing the trilogy to rewatch.

Happy Together 1997
★★★½
The chemistry and love displayed on film is so real. Awesome scenery, lines, and music. My only complaint is that this film is more loose with the plot than his other films. Often times you will lose track of what's happening. Overall worth a watch if you are a fan of Wai.

Clouds of Sils Maria 2014
★★★
I loved how gorgeous the film was and the landscapes. I liked Binoche and Stewart's chemistry. The rest was just boring and too ambiguous for its own good.

Blue Velvet 1986
★★★★
Blue velvet is like a prequel to twin peaks in the best way possible. The only thing lacking is the iconic music.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 4 months ago #34447

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
I watched Alien Covenant again. I still think it's really good. It's crazy to know that there are some folks out there who think Prometheus is the better movie. Fuckers are nuts.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 4 months ago #34448

• 7flow
Covenant is so dumb that if you see it as as dark comedy then it is good.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 4 months ago #34449

• 7flow
Three Colors: White 1994
★★½
A dark comedy where none of the jokes land, and the tone changes more than the weather. This film is weaker than blue by far, but Julie Delpy is enough to keep anybody watching. The theme equality is actual more of an "eye for eye."

Y Tu Mamá También 2001
★★★★★
Probably my first criterion, and a film I will never forget. I remember watching this film for the first time because of the sex scenes. Now that I am older I can appreciate the film for more than that. The film captures Mexico's political climate, while giving us a passionate youth story.

Blue Ruin 2013
★★★½
Decided to go back and watch this after "The green room". Best part about the film is how lean the script is. It gets straight to the point, and doesn't fload you with information. The protagonist sucks but his conviction to finish the job is something to watch. My complaint is that the sound design is weak, and when a weapon goes off it doesn't have that "oof" that you expect to hear.