Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thread of Endless Movies

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34219

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
So I marathoned the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Don't ask me why, these things just happen.

A Nightmare on Elm Street - 3/5

I'd never call the original a classic or anything like that. It's dragged down by poor pacing, and it doesn't have much in the way of a plot (this is a problem shared by every movie in the franchise). Still it contains some remarkable visual set pieces that still hold up to this very day, and the film has great atmospheric qualities up till the final act where it succumbs to pure stupidity.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge - 3/5

Probably the most unintentionally homoerotic film ever made. It's actually pretty entertaining if you view it as a story about a teen trying to come to terms with his sexuality and it honestly makes more sense in that context. Taken as a Nightmare on Elm Street film though it's maybe the worst thing ever?

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors - 4/5

This is the crown jewel of the franchise. It sports some of the most inventive kills and the most striking visuals of all the Elm Streets. It's also the most consistent in tone, finding a perfect balance between horror and camp. The pacing still aint great though. It needed to lose the bury Freddy subplot.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master - 2/5

Not sure why so many fans hold this one in high regard. This is where things just begin to not make any kind of sense. The kills and gore effects are still top notch but the scenes inbetween are a total slog to get through. I almost don't even remember what this one was about.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child - 1/5

This one has all of the problems of the last film but magnified 10-fold. The kills were also not very memorable. I hated this movie

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare 2/5

It's pretty obvious they gave up by this point lol. This movie is wackier than shit, and not exactly in a good way. Still, it's a bit more entertaining than Dream Child.

Ya know, in retrospect the Elm Street series was probably the strongest and most consistent of all the long running slasher franchises. Halloween and Hellraiser were 99% shit except for the original films in each. Literally all of the Friday the 13th films are fucking terrible (why is that series so popular!?). Child's Play is mostly shit. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is 99% ass. Yeah, I'd say Elm Street series is easily the best.
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Shake.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34222

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
The Girl with All the Gifts

Hey guys, somebody made The Last of Us into a movie and it's actually really good!

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34235

• 7flow
Alien: Covenant 2017
★★★
First the crucial information: this movie is better than Prometheus for sure. The movie has some stellar moments but it is dulled by the stupidity of the crew members and the predictability of the plot. David was by far the star of the movie, and the aliens were a lot wilder than I remember. Overall the alien fans are going to see this regardless but for those on the fence it makes for a fun watch.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34244

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
John Wick: Chapter 2

Eh, it was okay. Honestly I think I enjoyed the first one more.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34261

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Heat - 100/10

Just watched this for the umpteenth time. Heat never ceases to amaze me, it's perfect.

/OneOfTheGreatestMoviesEver

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34262

• kabphillie
  • The Doctor is Real In.
Apparently Wonder Woman doesn't suck. The wife is interested in seeing it. I haven't seen any of the recent DC movies, so this would be my first one.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34264

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Good for Wonder Woman. Girl deserves to have at least one solid film adaptation under her belt. Thanks for not fucking this one up Warner Bros.

I still have like zero faith in the DC cinematic universe though.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34270

Wonder Woman (2017) - So I wanted this movie to be good, and what I got was okay. Which I guess is a dramatic improvement because Man of Steel n Batman v Superman are dog shit. I appreciate that Wonder Woman is actually likable as a person, and not a brooding twit like ahem, the other 2 big leads of the Justice League.

I don't know if this will win anyone over Gal Gadot as an actress, because there were at least some lines where I wondered if that was awkward because of just bad writing, her accent, or just straight bad acting (or all 3), but I think the movie used her well for the most part. It plays off what Gadot's personality is like in interviews, she's smiling a lot, positive, very happy person. And Diana is that way, as she's hopelessly naive, and it's fucking endearing.

Her going awww at babies isn't some "woman thing", as much as she's never seen other kids and finds them cute, she's earnest about shit like telling an Ice Cream vendor on how he should be so proud of how great ice cream is (and Ice Cream is amazing), it's lovely, I like the interplay between her and Steve Trevor (pine was expected to do a good job), and it's probably a worrying thing that she's going to be more center stage without a Steve Trevor to bounce off in the 2nd movie when they get around to it (pls do good at the box office).

Where she ends up isn't some cynical shit, it's optimistic n love, and it fits who the character is, it's "true to the character" if you will. Not because she uses a golden lasso or because she rocks red, yellow n blue, but because Diana genuinely sees the good in people and focuses on that. Simple, clean, clear point, that makes our protagonist come across as someone who is genuine about helping people. Kind of like she is a Superhero or something, but that's crazy to want your Superhero to actually enjoy saving people and be proud of it.

The action scenes were mostly mediocre if not out right bad. Way too many close ups that made the fights hard to even make out what motion is happening, and yeah shaky cam ruined action movies so thanks Aljosa's boy Jason Bourne on that one (it was actually very well done in Bourn Identity, but whatevs). The final boss sequence was also a bit eh, again, just bad direction at the fighting, and the opening act is actually really dull for its info dump nature.

And I don't subscribe to some dumb ass shit like "well it's an origin story'...fuck you, origin stories can be done really well and enjoyable. I still find Spiderman 1 from 2000 a genuinely fun movie, ditto Batman Begins, ditto Ironman 1. This just comes across poorly paced, and ends up with a similar issue to Man of Steel in that they draw out the least interesting part about the origin story (the mythology behind where our hero truly comes from), when they need to focus on the events that fucking shape our hero. But I mean Man of Steel also fucked that up, because Pa Kent is the fucking worst.

If I'm allowed to do the shitty thing of comparing it to a marvel movie, I'd say the Captain America 1 comparisons seem on point. Not the part where it's a World War movie that happens to be a superhero origin story, but similarly the movie is "eh", but I do like the character, I do like the direction of the character, and I'm down for a sequel movie, because the movie surrounding said character (in this case characters as Steve Trevor is lovely) isn't good.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34272

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
You're just mad that the Queen beat down Bats and that lameass Supes.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34274

• 7flow
I take Gagan's review with a grain of salt till I see the movie for myself. Lawd does it look good.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34276

• kabphillie
  • The Doctor is Real In.
I take every Gagan review/rant with a grain of salt. Or ten.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34278

Jecht wrote:
You're just mad that the Queen beat down Bats and that lameass Supes.
But I like DC's characters -_-

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 6 months ago #34280

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Life (2017)

The first half of the movie is brilliant as fuck, then it devolves into super generic monster movie for a while, and finally goes out with a solid bang.

It's not the most original movie ever, but a very well made one. Also the movie's creature, while fairly unimaginative looks-wise (it's basically just a squid), is one of the more memorable baddies to emerge from the scifi genre. It's eerily clever and calculating, to the point of being downright creepy.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34316

I been on a Spiderman kick. lately. I like the Raimi Spiderman a lot, I don't care for Amazing Spiderman tho.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34330

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Power Rangers (2017)

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, all the way up until they morphed into the Power Rangers and then it turned into a retarded Transformers-esque CGI fest. But the majority of the film works incredibly well as a teen comedy/drama. It reminded me quite a bit of Chronicle (2012) which I enjoyed for many of the same reasons.

7/10
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Shake.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34331

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Phantasm (1979)

This heres one of the coolest horror movies ever made and one of my all time favs. I watched this last night (first time I had seen it in a long while) and all I could think was how stoned the film makers had to be for this beast to become a thing. How in the fuck does a person invent a story about an evil extradimensional mortician who wields small metallic brain-sucking orbs and likes to transform corpses into midget zombies? Who can even write that shit!? Don Coscarelli, that's who!

This movie is totally bonkers and honestly doesn't make much sense but it remains balanced and reined in thanks in large part to it's wonderful dreamlike qualities and atmosphere. The acting and effects are pretty cringeworthy but are also part of Phantasm's charm and ultimately work in it's favor. I fucking love this movie.

It's a shame that the sequels completely ditched the dreamlike mindfuckery of Phantasm 1 and went for a more straightforward approach to comedy-horror. They work well enough as Evil Dead knock-offs and they're certainly entertaining in their own right, but they are completely devoid of the original's creativity and mysticism. Phantasm 1 is so damn good.

10/10

(also it was just recently released in glorious 4K. These are good times to be alive :woohoo:)

Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Shake.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34332

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
I saw Wonder Woman with my daughter. She dressed in cosplay as Diana and got a ton of compliments from people. She loved the film, every time Gal Godot was on screen she was on the edge of her seat glued to it.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34333

• kabphillie
  • The Doctor is Real In.
Jecht wrote:
I saw Wonder Woman with my daughter. She dressed in cosplay as Diana and got a ton of compliments from people. She loved the film, every time Gal Godot was on screen she was on the edge of her seat glued to it.

How old is your daughter? We took our son to Cars 3, his favorite movie serious, and he only paid attention for about 45 minutes.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34338

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
kabphillie wrote:
Jecht wrote:

How old is your daughter? We took our son to Cars 3, his favorite movie serious, and he only paid attention for about 45 minutes.

She's 4. First movie I took her to was SING! and she did really well so I took her to see Lego Batman and she did well there too. I could tell she was getting a little antsy by the end of this though because of it's 2 and a half hour runtime.

Thread of Endless Movies 2 years 5 months ago #34339

• kabphillie
  • The Doctor is Real In.
I think that speaks to girls being a bit more mature than boys overall.