Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Mafia Forum Game Thread

The Mafia Forum Game Thread 2 months 6 days ago #34490

• mold
  • ☐ not rekt ☑ rekt
Hey everyone, I thought we as a community could try our hand at Mafia. As a super popular party game older than time itself, Mafia is a game of strategy, deception, and deduction. It's really easy to learn, really easy to play, and most importantly, it's fun.

The gist is as follows: all participants will be split between two groups, the Civilians and the Mafia. For every 3 Civilians there is 1 Mafia, for every 6 Civilians there is 2 Mafia, and so on. If you are assigned as a Civilian, you will only be aware of your own role. If you are assigned as Mafia, you will be informed of all other Mafia members. The objective of the game is for the Civilians to kill the Mafia, and for the Mafia to kill the Civilians.

There is also a Moderator who secretly assigns everyone their roles through PM, and doesn't participate in the day to day gameplay. For this round, I will be the Moderator.

The game has two phases, the Day Phase, and the Night Phase.

During the Day, everyone discusses and votes for a player they think is Mafia to kill off. Naturally, since Civilians don't know the identity of Mafia members, they too participate in the voting, to lead everyone astray or they might even vote for each other to confuse the Civilians. Once a consensus is reached, the Moderator announces who is killed off, and more importantly, their role. The game then transitions into Night.

During the Night, nobody is allowed to post in the channel (since you guys are supposed to be asleep nahmean?). The Mafia members discuss which Civilian to kill off in private, and PM their consensus to the Moderator. The Moderator then announces in the channel who got killed and their role, and the game transitions back into Day, and the cycle begins anew.

The game is over when either 1) all the Mafia have been killed off or 2) the Mafia outnumber or equal the Civilians.

And that's it! Not so bad right?

You might be wondering what's the point in announcing the role of the Mafia's target since they're obviously a Civilian in this case, and you'd be right. However, there are countless variations to this game which introduces specialized roles to spice things up like Cop, Doctor, Godfather and more. I figured we do the vanilla game starting out and then we can try variations if it's successful.

A few last points:

1) Like any game, this requires a bare minimum of commitment. For Mafia, it shouldn't be more than 5 minutes a day. Please participate only if you can spare those precious few minutes. Ideally I'd like every one of you to discuss/vote during each Day Phase, and Mafia need to be active at Night. The game just flows better and is more fun when everyone participates.

2) In real life the dead can't talk. Similar concepts apply. If you have been killed off you aren't allowed to communicate (anything substantive) for the rest of the round. I'll make an exception for posts that don't have to do with the gameplay like "rekt" and "ayy lmao" and other posts of that ilk.

3) Seriously nobody can talk at Night, at least not publicly in this channel.

Now that the boring crap is out of the way (fuck rules amirite?) let's get to the fun stuff. If you are at all interested in playing just drop a post here. I'll assign roles and start the game about a week from now, or earlier if there's enough interest. I'll keep a list.
Last Edit: 2 months 6 days ago by mold. Reason: Changed wording to better reflect Discord communication
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Mafia Forum Game Thread 2 months 6 days ago #34491

• mold
  • ☐ not rekt ☑ rekt
NOTE: because of the fact that our Discord is about ten thousand times more active than our forum, we might just move the game there. I'll have to see and I'm open to suggestions. Either way this thread is available for reference.

The Mafia Forum Game Thread 2 months 6 days ago #34492

• mold
  • ☐ not rekt ☑ rekt
Jecht did us a solid by setting up a channel on our Discord. So yeah, we'll be playing there. Sorry Shake.
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds