Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26799

What a fucking great game
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26800

• funsohng
  • Torontonian
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
funsohng wrote:
I don't care who wins now as long as it ain't Pats. Go Cards I guess, they at least our bros in the division.
God damn it George, that's now hot it works.
That's how I roll in MLB at least. Unless it's Red Sox.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26801

• SlowShow
  • Tell 'em play Metro Boomin at my funeral
funsohng wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
funsohng wrote:
I don't care who wins now as long as it ain't Pats. Go Cards I guess, they at least our bros in the division.
God damn it George, that's now hot it works.
That's how I roll in MLB at least. Unless it's Red Sox.
Jesus Christ, George.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26804

• silvur
  • Rendez-vous avec la mort
No such thing as bros in the AL East..

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26807

• funsohng
  • Torontonian
silvur wrote:
No such thing as bros in the AL East..
I dont like yanks but one of my buddy is a yank fan so I cheer for them if jays are gone. I mean, he cheered for us this season so yeah.
As for rays, I like them for fucking Red Sox in '11, and of my boys from KBO is playing O's now.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26808

• wasdie
  • Recommended by 9 out of 10 gamers!
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
I got New England and Arizona in the Title games, but in my heart of hearts, if the sports gods need to do whatever they do, I won't ask for a Peyton Manning victory, but if I can get just one more, one more certified classic between Manning and Brady, I'll be happy. Because I honestly think it's going to be a blow out in New England's favor.

Ha.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26809

• SlowShow
funsohng wrote:
I dont like yanks but one of my buddy is a yank fan so I cheer for them if jays are gone. I mean, he cheered for us this season so yeah.
As for rays, I like them for fucking Red Sox in '11, and of my boys from KBO is playing O's now.
The Rays are fine. It's more of a begrudging respect there in the sense they're always competitive and you have to worry about them randomly sweeping the Jays despite putting up like 2.1 runs/game of offence and having half their pitching staff on the DL; and also there's the pity factor for having to play in the Trop.

But as a Jays fan -- and I say this as someone who generally hates sports rivalries due to their high meathead-fratbro/low entertainment value proposition -- it is your solemn duty to hate the Yankees, Sawks and Trashbirds every day of the week and twice on Sundays. If you don't start off the day reading a transcript of the Chappelle Show Hater's Ball skit to a picture of Darren O'Day while wearing a Bautista shirsey you really can't claim to be a Jays fan. Gotta feed that Toronto inferiority complex.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26811

• DarkLink
  • Keep the flag flying.
wasdie wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
I got New England and Arizona in the Title games, but in my heart of hearts, if the sports gods need to do whatever they do, I won't ask for a Peyton Manning victory, but if I can get just one more, one more certified classic between Manning and Brady, I'll be happy. Because I honestly think it's going to be a blow out in New England's favor.

Ha.

In hindsight, kind of funny. I feel bad for Arizona. They got embarrassed for 60 minutes on national television. At least the Pats/Broncos game was really good.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26812

• kabphillie
  • The Doctor is Real In.
DarkLink wrote:
wasdie wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

Ha.

In hindsight, kind of funny. I feel bad for Arizona. They got embarrassed for 60 minutes on national television. At least the Pats/Broncos game was really good.

I think Carson Palmer is mostly responsible for that ass-whooping. You don't throw 4 interceptions and lose too fumbles in a championship game. That's choking. The Carolina defense isn't THAT good to create that all in one game.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26814

• DarkLink
  • Keep the flag flying.
kabphillie wrote:
DarkLink wrote:
wasdie wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

Ha.

I think Carson Palmer is mostly responsible for that ass-whooping. You don't throw 4 interceptions and lose too fumbles in a championship game. That's choking. The Carolina defense isn't THAT good to create that all in one game.

Larry Fitzgerald and the other receivers also dropped a lot of passes. Arizona's defense didn't stop shit.

The game came down to Palmer having to force a lot of shit, and that causes really ugly picks. He's to blame, sure, but he's not alone. Nobody on that team showed up ready to play. Nobody could tackle. Nobody recovered those fumbles when they were completely recoverable. Nobody caught balls or made plays.

I mean, people act like the Panthers didn't spend the entire season as the best team in the league and they didn't completely dismantle Seattle last week. They picked off Russell Wilson twice, and that dude doesn't throw picks. And then they proceeded to utterly destroy what has been the best defense in the league for the last three seasons.

The only reason that game was close at the end was because the Panthers didn't care anymore. And even then, Seattle really didn't have a chance.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by DarkLink.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26815

• wasdie
  • Recommended by 9 out of 10 gamers!
DarkLink wrote:
wasdie wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

Ha.

I was just happy the Packers weren't playing Carolina. That would have made me a sad Wasdie.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26818

kabphillie wrote:
DarkLink wrote:
wasdie wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

Ha.

Um now hold on, Arizona didn't play all that well across the board, but Carolina's defense is pretty good, they blew a lot of people out, they cause a lot of turnovers (led the league in creating in turnovers), they get a lot of sacks, people overreact to how many "leads" they've blown, because they got super conservative when they get big leads.

But they two excellent linebackers, Luke has to be the best one right now of the inside linebackers at least. Thomas Davis is a classic throwback outside linebacker.

The front 4 is excellent, Short and Star Loutilala are MONSTERS up the gut, and they still have quality edge rushers in Charles Johnson, and for Superbowl they have a crafty vet in Jared Allen (who is borderline hall of fame bound). Josh Norman has been playing like the best corner this year, very much like Sherman a few years ago, minus all the turnovers, and that Coleman dude they got from Philly has been a big time playmaker.

Carolina's defense is loaded with talent, they aren't shut down in the classic sense, but no they absolutely are that good to cause that type of performance.

Carson Palmer did implode (choke whatever), Carson Palmer played like utter shit, and deserves most of the blame like most QB's would get, but lets also not pretend Carson Palmer hasn't been that guy for awhile now, he was looking good, because Arians and Arizona was nice, so when the rest of the team was getting worked, he was going to look like shit. But Carolina's defense is absolutely that nice, they are always capable of going off like that on an offense, they have too much talent.

They can be had at times, but at their peak they can be really dominant. So yes they are THAT good.

Addition to William's point: 4 years, someone pointed this out to me, but Seattle has been the #1 scoring defense since 2012. Led the league all 4 years of Russel hustle bustle n tussle flexin dat Top 5 Quarterback Man Muscle Wilson's career. And Cam carved them up, he carved up Arizona, and Arizona was no joke on defense this year, super aggressive, but usually that paid off.

Cam's performance this year, is really impressive.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Beacon_of_Truth.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26819

SlowShow wrote:
funsohng wrote:
The Rays are fine. It's more of a begrudging respect there in the sense they're always competitive and you have to worry about them randomly sweeping the Jays despite putting up like 2.1 runs/game of offence and having half their pitching staff on the DL; and also there's the pity factor for having to play in the Trop.

But as a Jays fan -- and I say this as someone who generally hates sports rivalries due to their high meathead-fratbro/low entertainment value proposition -- it is your solemn duty to hate the Yankees, Sawks and Trashbirds every day of the week and twice on Sundays. If you don't start off the day reading a transcript of the Chappelle Show Hater's Ball skit to a picture of Darren O'Day while wearing a Bautista shirsey you really can't claim to be a Jays fan. Gotta feed that Toronto inferiority complex.
Nah, good rivalries add to the atmosphere of big games, not fun to get on reddit or bullshit like that, but good rivalries do add to a quality game.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26847

• SlowShow
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
Nah, good rivalries add to the atmosphere of big games, not fun to get on reddit or bullshit like that, but good rivalries do add to a quality game.
Oh yeah, for sure, I just find most (many? some? I dunno) rivalries to be boring. I guess it's from growing up watching hockey, where there are so many "they said a bad thing 40 years ago!"-fuelled beefs that are totally irrelevant to the teams' recent histories that it's just exhausting, especially since in hockey "rivalry" is usually code for "a couple of boring scrums, a mediocre 4th line brawl, and some dude almost dying from getting run from behind". Give me a solid, entertaining, everyone realizes this is mildly stupid rivalry though and I'm all in.

Like to use recent Toronto teams as an example, Jays-Royals is brewing into a low-key (bad) stupid rivalry because it's mostly predicated on KC throwing some shitty "play-the-right-way" beanballs and then roasting the Jays pitching in the ALCS. There's no entertainment value because everyone is being the wrong kind of dumb. Raps-Nets, on the other hand, is goddamn amazing. You have recent history (the VC trade and a couple of playoff series), two teams with all-world inferiority complexes, The Truth being The Truth, and of course:

I'll mainline that shit all day. So in conclusion, Fuck Brooklyn and Roll Tide
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by SlowShow.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26848

That's true, it's one thing if the tradition for excellence actually stays and there are stakes to the rivalry, which in modern sports become less and less of a thing. Manning v Brady worked, because they both were so good, consistently for so long, it wasn't this thing forced through some petty shit, it was just those 2 were that good, their teams were that successful, and their teams kept playing in big games. The rest, the fanbase, the media all took care of itself.

Most sports "rivalries" suck or haven't really been rivalries in the strictest sense, when one side is winning all the important games, not much of a rival (Cincy and Pitt for instance).

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #26849

• SlowShow
Yeah, that or a historic rivalry where both sides have settled into that cozy, quasi-friendly rivalry zone instead of whatever the fuck happens when you put Habs and Bruins fans together. Like I found myself slowly getting into college football this past year because a) CFB Twitter is the funniest dang thing on the internet and 2) people (generally) seem to be much more understanding of the idea it's just a dumb game played by grossly under-compensated kids so maybe we should try to cut down on the sucker punching people in the parking lot thing?

Like, Iowa-Iowa State is called El Assico, because they always play like ass against each other, and everyone embraces this. That's amazing, and it's only one of the 5 most ridiculous things about Iowa football. Contrast that to whatever your brain can imagine a meathead from Southie would've been doing at a September Yankees-Sox game this season despite being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in, like, June.

The point is, as always, Boston sucks.
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by SlowShow.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #27119

• kabphillie
  • The Doctor is Real In.
Glad it was Peyton, but that was a weak sauce Super Bowl.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #27120

• 7flow
I rather peyton win and retire. Cam is young and has a solid team for next year. They will be back in the playoffs.

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #27121

• SlowShow
This is some fucking darkest timeline shit rn

Sports Thread of Why Isn't This Already Here 3 years 2 months ago #27123

Bad superbowl, but glad Peyton gets to go out this way.