Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26083

Minishdriveby wrote:

Not every form of game or playing revolves around a puzzle or is goal-oriented. Children play with toys with no defined parameters or end goal, so I don't really find the concept of 'pure play' as being one that requires a puzzle to be solved. I know Gone Home in the end has a defined goal to see the credits, but again the most enjoyable aspect was wondering around the house look at tschotskes and learning about the family's daily lives.

Edit: Realized you were talking about Brothers in the last paragraph, but I'm sure the critique of "the fuck do you even do?" is used for Gome Home as well. The journey in brothers was enough to carry me through the game as I wanted to see the fantastical world that they lived in. Each obstacle made the vibrant world darker and more dangerous. The controls were a novelty that fit the theme of the game well.

That be fine, if it wasn't a bunch of bitch work I was doing over the course of a game. The thing with the wolf where you are moving one brother one at a time? Eh I can at least enjoy that in its context and how it works on an interactive level. Moving a log across an area? moving sheep to add weight to something, swinging against a rope, climbing one this way and the other that other way adds up to nothing to me. Like I said they came up with a novelty control schemed that worked for one scene, that the game never really earns.

No The Gone Home critique is simply the gameplay tells one story, the games story is something the gameplay isn't actually telling. It's disconnected entirely, pretending otherwise, is wrong in any context. If you are meant to be immersed as Lonnie's sister, than the thing you play is she's alone, she doesn't everyone is, she doesn't know what has happened in that house, and you as the sister are wondering through out the house. And the story the game tells is that Lonnie is lesbian, she's afraid of her parents, her parents are kind of pricks about it, and now she's gonna bounce.

A lack of puzzles doesn't bother me about Gone Home, it's that I am being told a story that I'm not playing. I'm not usually fond of dialed back gameplay in a lot of things, but simple and basic isn't my knock. If it was, I wouldn't like Journey.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26085

• 7flow
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
Minishdriveby wrote:

Not every form of game or playing revolves around a puzzle or is goal-oriented. Children play with toys with no defined parameters or end goal, so I don't really find the concept of 'pure play' as being one that requires a puzzle to be solved. I know Gone Home in the end has a defined goal to see the credits, but again the most enjoyable aspect was wondering around the house look at tschotskes and learning about the family's daily lives.

Edit: Realized you were talking about Brothers in the last paragraph, but I'm sure the critique of "the fuck do you even do?" is used for Gome Home as well. The journey in brothers was enough to carry me through the game as I wanted to see the fantastical world that they lived in. Each obstacle made the vibrant world darker and more dangerous. The controls were a novelty that fit the theme of the game well.

That be fine, if it wasn't a bunch of bitch work I was doing over the course of a game. The thing with the wolf where you are moving one brother one at a time? Eh I can at least enjoy that in its context and how it works on an interactive level. Moving a log across an area? moving sheep to add weight to something, swinging against a rope, climbing one this way and the other that other way adds up to nothing to me. Like I said they came up with a novelty control schemed that worked for one scene, that the game never really earns.

No The Gone Home critique is simply the gameplay tells one story, the games story is something the gameplay isn't actually telling. It's disconnected entirely, pretending otherwise, is wrong in any context. If you are meant to be immersed as Lonnie's sister, than the thing you play is she's alone, she doesn't everyone is, she doesn't know what has happened in that house, and you as the sister are wondering through out the house. And the story the game tells is that Lonnie is lesbian, she's afraid of her parents, her parents are kind of pricks about it, and now she's gonna bounce.

A lack of puzzles doesn't bother me about Gone Home, it's that I am being told a story that I'm not playing. I'm not usually fond of dialed back gameplay in a lot of things, but simple and basic isn't my knock. If it was, I wouldn't like Journey.
huh? you have to play the game to piece together the story elements for gone home. What you are saying about gone home isn't making sense. You are giving pieces of information that you the player has to piece together with a nice narrative in the background providing insight.

Brothers- the control scheme for the game was perfect and makes perfect sense. You do have a valid complaint of doing bitch work towards the beginning of the game but it makes sense as a tutorial and the brothers helping out in their hometown.

these complaints are weird. It is like that one time I said RE4 had sucky controls.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26087

7flow wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
Minishdriveby wrote:

huh? you have to play the game to piece together the story elements for gone home. What you are saying about gone home isn't making sense. You are giving pieces of information that you the player has to piece together with a nice narrative in the background providing insight.

Brothers- the control scheme for the game was perfect and makes perfect sense. You do have a valid complaint of doing bitch work towards the beginning of the game but it makes sense as a tutorial and the brothers helping out in their hometown.

these complaints are weird. It is like that one time I said RE4 had sucky controls.
You're right you walk around a house, and then the story is pieced together. Nothing you pick up actually has any connection to the story being told. You fill in some blanks yourself, but again what you actually play is its own story, the story you are being told isn't something you are playing it isn't even something you've discovered at that point. She discovers everything you get told at the very end. Ergo my beef.

Explain to me what is weird about the story being told to match exactly what I'm playing, a harmony between the two. If people like the game for the wondering around the house bit, it's setting, it's tone, I don't disagree with those people. It's made by people who have a great understanding of environmental story telling, but the plot that the game conveys to me has no connection to what I play. That's lousy to me.

I'm not saying the controls don't work work for Brothers, I'm saying its impactful for one scene, and that's it. The rest of the game it's just something you tolerate as the game rarely if ever comes up with a scenario that makes use of the controls in any interesting manner. Most of the game I'm just going through the motions.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26088

• 7flow
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
7flow wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
Minishdriveby wrote:

You're right you walk around a house, and then the story is pieced together. Nothing you pick up actually has any connection to the story being told. You fill in some blanks yourself, but again what you actually play is its own story, the story you are being told isn't something you are playing it isn't even something you've discovered at that point. She discovers everything you get told at the very end. Ergo my beef.

Explain to me what is weird about the story being told to match exactly what I'm playing, a harmony between the two. If people like the game for the wondering around the house bit, it's setting, it's tone, I don't disagree with those people. It's made by people who have a great understanding of environmental story telling, but the plot that the game conveys to me has no connection to what I play. That's lousy to me.

I'm not saying the controls don't work work for Brothers, I'm saying its impactful for one scene, and that's it. The rest of the game it's just something you tolerate as the game rarely if ever comes up with a scenario that makes use of the controls in any interesting manner. Most of the game I'm just going through the motions.
you still aren't making any sense. Based on where you go in the house you are given new revelations and you learn more about the family based on what you pick up and look over. It is basically a game that rewards you for exploring the smaller details. Saying the game plays itself because you are giving a narrator makes no sense. I don't think Gone home is your type of genre. So meh

The plot of gone home and the actual gameplay of following the bread crumbs your lil sis left behind makes total sense. It is basically a better version of dear esther. But it is cool if you don't like the gameplay.

edit: it is a interactive story similar to life is strange. you make a lot of gameplay decisions but like most games the ending is still the same regardless of what you do. So instead of focusing on the story think about the journey and piecing the clues together before the end.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by 7flow.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26089

7flow wrote:
you still aren't making any sense. Based on where you go in the house you are given new revelations and you learn more about the family based on what you pick up and look over. It is basically a game that rewards you for exploring the smaller details. Saying the game plays itself because you are giving a narrator makes no sense. I don't think Gone home is your type of genre. So meh

The plot of gone home and the actual gameplay of following the bread crumbs your lil sis left behind makes total sense. It is basically a better version of dear esther. But it is cool if you don't like the gameplay.

edit: it is a interactive story similar to life is strange. you make a lot of gameplay decisions but like most games the ending is still the same regardless of what you do. So instead of focusing on the story think about the journey and piecing the clues together before the end.

No you're just not understanding it: Everything that jogs a new story, starts lonnie narrating about why she's leaving the house isn't something actually discover at that point. You just end up in a kitchen, and then bam she shares the next story beat. But it's not the story you are playing at that point, You are just running around, and a story is being told to you, you are not playing that story though. When Sam actually discovers this story is when reads the journal at the very end of the game.

The plot isn't the bread crumbs her sister leaves her, that's not what you play, otherwise she's get a very cute definition of bread crumbs. What the game is, is Sam finding things and opening new doors into the house before she ends up in the attic, and how the devs kept you engaged was they had this story play in the background that got you just interested enough to see how it ends. But it's not the story you are playing, it's not even close to being that.

And the Life is Strange example wouldn't fly, that's very direct and traditional in how it's telling a story and what you are playing in that story. What you do, use the time travel powers to show Chloe what you can do: is actually what you play.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26093

• 7flow
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
7flow wrote:

No you're just not understanding it: Everything that jogs a new story, starts lonnie narrating about why she's leaving the house isn't something actually discover at that point. You just end up in a kitchen, and then bam she shares the next story beat. But it's not the story you are playing at that point, You are just running around, and a story is being told to you, you are not playing that story though. When Sam actually discovers this story is when reads the journal at the very end of the game.

The plot isn't the bread crumbs her sister leaves her, that's not what you play, otherwise she's get a very cute definition of bread crumbs. What the game is, is Sam finding things and opening new doors into the house before she ends up in the attic, and how the devs kept you engaged was they had this story play in the background that got you just interested enough to see how it ends. But it's not the story you are playing, it's not even close to being that.

And the Life is Strange example wouldn't fly, that's very direct and traditional in how it's telling a story and what you are playing in that story. What you do, use the time travel powers to show Chloe what you can do: is actually what you play.
I don't think you understand what a interactive story is. The gameplay gives you new information and insight on the main overall story that the narrator is portraying .

Gone home is just one of those games you didn't get and that is it ok because it is not for everyone :hurr:

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26098

No I got it, you're just making a poor excuse for it.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Beacon_of_Truth.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26099

• 7flow
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
I see you ran out of boo-boo opinions :hurr:

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26101

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
7flow wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

Please reread what he was saying. You seriously don't understand the conversation you were trying to have.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26105

• 7flow
WJecht wrote:
7flow wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

Please reread what he was saying. You seriously don't understand the conversation you were trying to have.
What are you talking about? Please take a seat

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26108

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
7flow wrote:
WJecht wrote:
7flow wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

I'm trying to help you out here. You don't even understand the context of the conversation you are participating in because you aren't reading what he is writing. It couldn't be more clear what he is saying, the only way you could misunderstand him this bad is if you aren't even reading what he is writing. It's like you're afraid to read anything more than a paragraph long.

Either that or you are not even fit to have a discussion like this because the concepts are just too over your head. Which would be insane because we aren't talking string theory over here.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26112

• 7flow
Jecht wrote:
7flow wrote:
WJecht wrote:
7flow wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

I'm trying to help you out here. You don't even understand the context of the conversation you are participating in because you aren't reading what he is writing. It couldn't be more clear what he is saying, the only way you could misunderstand him this bad is if you aren't even reading what he is writing. It's like you're afraid to read anything more than a paragraph long.

Either that or you are not even fit to have a discussion like this because the concepts are just too over your head. Which would be insane because we aren't talking string theory over here.
/angry old man rant lol
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by 7flow.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26117

In other news, after a short break, I've started the final stretch of Bloodborne. It's surprising how short the main game is (not including Chalice Dungeons). I'm 18 hours in and have finished up all the loose ends (beat all the bosses) leading up to the final boss fight encounters. I'm prolonging my time by beginning the chalice dungeons, and I might buy the DLC before entering NG+. Are the chalice dungeons usually seen as side content or do most people consider that a core part of the game? I know they're procedural dungeons with some repeated bosses, but I'm wondering what others think of them.

As a reference for what my playtime on the souls series has been:

Demon's Souls: ~24 hours
Dark Souls: ~36 hours
Dark Souls II: ~40 hours
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Minishdriveby.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26119

• 7flow
Minishdriveby wrote:
In other news, after a short break, I've started the final stretch of Bloodborne. It's surprising how short the main game is (not including Chalice Dungeons). I'm 18 hours in and have finished up all the loose ends (beat all the bosses) leading up to the final boss fight encounters. I'm prolonging my time by beginning the chalice dungeons, and I might buy the DLC before entering NG+. Are the chalice dungeons usually seen as side content or do most people consider that a core part of the game? I know they're procedural dungeons with some repeated bosses, but I'm wondering what others think of them.

As a reference for what my playtime on the souls series has been:

Demon's Souls: ~24 hours
Dark Souls: ~36 hours
Dark Souls II: ~40 hours
side dungeons are more like end game, since you get the best material from there

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26122

• funsohng
  • Torontonian
Jecht wrote:
It is definitely the brothers of 2015. People wouldn't shut up about that game in 2013. You know who still talks about it? No one.
It's like a buck at Steam now, should I get it.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26130

• 7flow
funsohng wrote:
Jecht wrote:
It is definitely the brothers of 2015. People wouldn't shut up about that game in 2013. You know who still talks about it? No one.
Good game so yeah

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26131

• silvur
  • Rendez-vous avec la mort
funsohng wrote:
Jecht wrote:

No, you would be better off spending that dollar on a squeeze toy. You'd get more fun out of it.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26132

• 7flow
silvur wrote:
funsohng wrote:
Jecht wrote:

No, you would be better off spending that dollar on a squeeze toy. You'd get more fun out of it.
troll bryan :hurr:

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26133

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
funsohng wrote:
Jecht wrote:

Sure.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 3 years 3 months ago #26135

I bought The Old Hunters to prolong my time with Bloodborne. It's too short of a game otherwise.