Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26041

  • 7flow
  • 7flow's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 4539
Minishdriveby wrote:
7flow wrote:
Jecht wrote:
Huh? I played Undertale.
show me the car facts

I'm currently in the process of playing it...
This post is so dumb just delete it. I can clearly see you played it...dummmmmmbasss

edited my initial post because it was just me calling you dumb for 3 paragraphs.

1.no one was talking to you

2. clearly everyone knows you are playing it

3. Merry Christmas
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by 7flow.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26044

Minishdriveby wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
Minishdriveby wrote:

But 3/4 of those games are great! Undertale has some really cool aspects too. The main things I've seen people highlight are the script and the subversion of game mechanics through not wanting to kill monsters. While the script can be humorous, it relies very heavily on that random pun filled reddit humor which I feel like I'm being hit with a "laugh because this is funny stick," and I just don't see why not killing is seen as a novel subversion of tropes when there have been quite a few games with pacifist runs.

So what do I find good about Undertale? Mainly the art direction and character concept for the monsters as well as the creative bullet hell events during battles.
1/4 is great, and that's Braid since I was joking about that one in the group. The other 3 are pretty much undeserving. Internet humor never works for me, I think it ruins Guacamelee a bit, when the joke for that game is the concept itself, but I mean To The Moon between the two scientists is nothing but internet humor.

My understanding isn't that you can do a pacifist run, it's that the games narrative, and scathing during genocide runs actually has merit to it given that it is a choice, the game has a neat set of systems and minigames to make all that stuff enjoyable, and the story beats all culminate in the way these things are supposed to culminate. All heresay, but I'll probably get around to that game in 2016.

I would still include Gone Home and Brothers in the great category.
Not touching the Brothers conversation, but why Gone Home? Not sure if we discussed this earlier this year after I beat it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26048

Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
Minishdriveby wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
Minishdriveby wrote:

But 3/4 of those games are great! Undertale has some really cool aspects too. The main things I've seen people highlight are the script and the subversion of game mechanics through not wanting to kill monsters. While the script can be humorous, it relies very heavily on that random pun filled reddit humor which I feel like I'm being hit with a "laugh because this is funny stick," and I just don't see why not killing is seen as a novel subversion of tropes when there have been quite a few games with pacifist runs.

So what do I find good about Undertale? Mainly the art direction and character concept for the monsters as well as the creative bullet hell events during battles.
1/4 is great, and that's Braid since I was joking about that one in the group. The other 3 are pretty much undeserving. Internet humor never works for me, I think it ruins Guacamelee a bit, when the joke for that game is the concept itself, but I mean To The Moon between the two scientists is nothing but internet humor.

My understanding isn't that you can do a pacifist run, it's that the games narrative, and scathing during genocide runs actually has merit to it given that it is a choice, the game has a neat set of systems and minigames to make all that stuff enjoyable, and the story beats all culminate in the way these things are supposed to culminate. All heresay, but I'll probably get around to that game in 2016.

I would still include Gone Home and Brothers in the great category.
Not touching the Brothers conversation, but why Gone Home? Not sure if we discussed this earlier this year after I beat it.


While the central focus was Sam's coming of age and first love, the thing that engaged me most was the scattered tid-bits of family affairs. The parent's troubled marriage, the father's floundering career, the mother's possible affair. I thought the little glimpses of Sam's writing through time--and the contrasting of her writing between her sister's--was a great way to show her development and blossoming as a writer. At the same time the invasion of the family's privacy as I rummaged through their belongings, thoughts, and spaces left me with an unsettling feeling of stepping beyond my boundaries, a feeling that I felt with another game this year.

I think these types of games work well when they're concise in the message they want to tell, and this is something I think that games like Gone Home, Brothers, Journey, etc. understand and execute.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Minishdriveby.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26049

  • Jecht
  • Jecht's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Did you say nerd?
  • Posts: 3966
Gone Home is fine.

Brothers is like, the worst.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26052

Jecht wrote:
Gone Home is fine.

Brothers is like, the worst.

Why is brothers like, the worst?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26053

  • Jecht
  • Jecht's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Did you say nerd?
  • Posts: 3966
Minishdriveby wrote:
Jecht wrote:
Gone Home is fine.

Brothers is like, the worst.

Why is brothers like, the worst?

Funny you should ask.

www.endlessbacklog.com/reviews/23-brothe...sons-video-game-2013
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26055

  • 7flow
  • 7flow's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 4539
Lol Phil and Gagan don't like games that try and tell a story smh.

Just looking at the review score told me all I needed to know
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26056

Minishdriveby wrote:


While the central focus was Sam's coming of age and first love, the thing that engaged me most was the scattered tid-bits of family affairs. The parent's troubled marriage, the father's floundering career, the mother's possible affair. I thought the little glimpses of Sam's writing through time--and the contrasting of her writing between her sister's--was a great way to show her development and blossoming as a writer. At the same time the invasion of the family's privacy as I rummaged through their belongings, thoughts, and spaces left me with an unsettling feeling of stepping beyond my boundaries, a feeling that I felt with another game this year.

I think these types of games work well when they're concise in the message they want to tell, and this is something I think that games like Gone Home, Brothers, Journey, etc. understand and execute.
My beef with it all is that none of it really works in the context of gameplay. The story is she gets to the attic and reads all this shit, the gameplay is you walk around a moody house, pick up random items that mean nothing, and get a story beat read to you that has a vague connection at best to what you picked up, or has nothing to do with it, so we just gonna move the story along. The story told in a vacuum is whatever, but it's completely unearned in its play. There is no connection there, they just exist because that's the only way they could make a game where you walk around a house to get a key to an attic work.

In contrast Journey is all symbolic in nature, but that's why it fucking works. The whole gameplay is that circle of life symbol, so the gameplay tells the story that was intended. Gone Home I'm being told something in advance, because they couldn't really come up with anything else to make it work. I think that's BS. I like it more than Dear Esther, but I like a lot of things more than Dear Ester. That feeling you get after eating Captain Crunch as it destroys your gums? Still better than Dear Ester.

100% agree with Philip's displeasure: I am given little reason to even be mildly invested in either little brat, and pure play is concerned the fuck do you even do? Forget not presenting a difficult puzzle, that be one thing, but they are not even puzzles half the time, or most of the time. You get a log, and you know instantly where you are going with it. You're just interacting in that world in the most basic way except the game relies on this gimmick control scheme that it never really tests the player on, only to drive home one mild scene where the payoff is tied to the controller.

It was one decent scene, connected to a poorly told game with nothing really to its mechanics or design.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26057

7flow wrote:
Lol Phil and Gagan don't like games that try and tell a story smh.

Just looking at the review score told me all I needed to know
yeah man totally explains Phil's love for The Last of Us, Persona, Red Dead Redemption, Shadow of the Colossus, and I mean sure he likes Metal Gear, a franchise no one could ever argue was overly story driven at times.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26059

  • 7flow
  • 7flow's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 4539
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
7flow wrote:
Lol Phil and Gagan don't like games that try and tell a story smh.

Just looking at the review score told me all I needed to know
yeah man totally explains Phil's love for The Last of Us, Persona, Red Dead Redemption, Shadow of the Colossus, and I mean sure he likes Metal Gear, a franchise no one could ever argue was overly story driven at times.
Some of those are suspect on story and lol metal gear solid is the prime example of how not to do a story
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26060

  • 7flow
  • 7flow's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 4539
Minishdriveby wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
Minishdriveby wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
Minishdriveby wrote:

But 3/4 of those games are great! Undertale has some really cool aspects too. The main things I've seen people highlight are the script and the subversion of game mechanics through not wanting to kill monsters. While the script can be humorous, it relies very heavily on that random pun filled reddit humor which I feel like I'm being hit with a "laugh because this is funny stick," and I just don't see why not killing is seen as a novel subversion of tropes when there have been quite a few games with pacifist runs.

So what do I find good about Undertale? Mainly the art direction and character concept for the monsters as well as the creative bullet hell events during battles.
1/4 is great, and that's Braid since I was joking about that one in the group. The other 3 are pretty much undeserving. Internet humor never works for me, I think it ruins Guacamelee a bit, when the joke for that game is the concept itself, but I mean To The Moon between the two scientists is nothing but internet humor.

My understanding isn't that you can do a pacifist run, it's that the games narrative, and scathing during genocide runs actually has merit to it given that it is a choice, the game has a neat set of systems and minigames to make all that stuff enjoyable, and the story beats all culminate in the way these things are supposed to culminate. All heresay, but I'll probably get around to that game in 2016.

I would still include Gone Home and Brothers in the great category.
Not touching the Brothers conversation, but why Gone Home? Not sure if we discussed this earlier this year after I beat it.


While the central focus was Sam's coming of age and first love, the thing that engaged me most was the scattered tid-bits of family affairs. The parent's troubled marriage, the father's floundering career, the mother's possible affair. I thought the little glimpses of Sam's writing through time--and the contrasting of her writing between her sister's--was a great way to show her development and blossoming as a writer. At the same time the invasion of the family's privacy as I rummaged through their belongings, thoughts, and spaces left me with an unsettling feeling of stepping beyond my boundaries, a feeling that I felt with another game this year.

I think these types of games work well when they're concise in the message they want to tell, and this is something I think that games like Gone Home, Brothers, Journey, etc. understand and execute.
I agree with you on brothers and gone home those games provided a different perspective on how to play games that some people still don't get it. Gone was not worth the 20 bucks was my only negative complaint
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26061

  • Jecht
  • Jecht's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Did you say nerd?
  • Posts: 3966
Yeah I really hate crafted narratives in games. Yup. Totally. Lol

You've said some dumb shit here but that really takes the cake.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26062

7flow wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
7flow wrote:
Lol Phil and Gagan don't like games that try and tell a story smh.

Just looking at the review score told me all I needed to know
yeah man totally explains Phil's love for The Last of Us, Persona, Red Dead Redemption, Shadow of the Colossus, and I mean sure he likes Metal Gear, a franchise no one could ever argue was overly story driven at times.
Some of those are suspect on story and lol metal gear solid is the prime example of how not to do a story
I'm not arguing their quality mate, but if he didn't like games that try to tell a story, he would have only gone so far with some of those. Yeah he likes Metal Gear a lot for the gameplay, he also likes the crazy shit, and tends to remember in detail a lot of the story details of MGS 2 and 3(MG in general, but those 2 specifically given how much he played them). Red Dead? Is there anyone on this forum that likes that game, that doesn't like John Marston n stuff?

Last of Us? I mean again you can't dismiss that game is not trying a story

You assuming things that are clearly incorrect Carlson.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26064

  • 7flow
  • 7flow's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 4539
Jecht wrote:
Yeah I really hate crafted narratives in games. Yup. Totally. Lol

You've said some dumb shit here but that really takes the cake.
You gave brothers a 4/10 which is suspect for "this nigga may have a flawed opinion on the matter"

I know it is wrong to assume but when I see a review like that I can only make assumptions :P

Edit: maybe you and Gagan are just in the minority with gone home and brothers. Some games are just not for everyone. I feel enlightened now :ircface:
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by 7flow.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26070

Beacon_of_Truth wrote:
Minishdriveby wrote:


While the central focus was Sam's coming of age and first love, the thing that engaged me most was the scattered tid-bits of family affairs. The parent's troubled marriage, the father's floundering career, the mother's possible affair. I thought the little glimpses of Sam's writing through time--and the contrasting of her writing between her sister's--was a great way to show her development and blossoming as a writer. At the same time the invasion of the family's privacy as I rummaged through their belongings, thoughts, and spaces left me with an unsettling feeling of stepping beyond my boundaries, a feeling that I felt with another game this year.

I think these types of games work well when they're concise in the message they want to tell, and this is something I think that games like Gone Home, Brothers, Journey, etc. understand and execute.
My beef with it all is that none of it really works in the context of gameplay. The story is she gets to the attic and reads all this shit, the gameplay is you walk around a moody house, pick up random items that mean nothing, and get a story beat read to you that has a vague connection at best to what you picked up, or has nothing to do with it, so we just gonna move the story along. The story told in a vacuum is whatever, but it's completely unearned in its play. There is no connection there, they just exist because that's the only way they could make a game where you walk around a house to get a key to an attic work.

In contrast Journey is all symbolic in nature, but that's why it fucking works. The whole gameplay is that circle of life symbol, so the gameplay tells the story that was intended. Gone Home I'm being told something in advance, because they couldn't really come up with anything else to make it work. I think that's BS. I like it more than Dear Esther, but I like a lot of things more than Dear Ester. That feeling you get after eating Captain Crunch as it destroys your gums? Still better than Dear Ester.

100% agree with Philip's displeasure: I am given little reason to even be mildly invested in either little brat, and pure play is concerned the fuck do you even do? Forget not presenting a difficult puzzle, that be one thing, but they are not even puzzles half the time, or most of the time. You get a log, and you know instantly where you are going with it. You're just interacting in that world in the most basic way except the game relies on this gimmick control scheme that it never really tests the player on, only to drive home one mild scene where the payoff is tied to the controller.

It was one decent scene, connected to a poorly told game with nothing really to its mechanics or design.

Not every form of game or playing revolves around a puzzle or is goal-oriented. Children play with toys with no defined parameters or end goal, so I don't really find the concept of 'pure play' as being one that requires a puzzle to be solved. I know Gone Home in the end has a defined goal to see the credits, but again the most enjoyable aspect was wondering around the house look at tschotskes and learning about the family's daily lives.

Edit: Realized you were talking about Brothers in the last paragraph, but I'm sure the critique of "the fuck do you even do?" is used for Gome Home as well. The journey in brothers was enough to carry me through the game as I wanted to see the fantastical world that they lived in. Each obstacle made the vibrant world darker and more dangerous. The controls were a novelty that fit the theme of the game well.

Also Phillip spends a paragraph saying that the fantasy world just needs a interstate, instead of all these dumb fantastical elements. I'm not really sure what I can even say about this "critique"...

While I agree that the puzzles and inputs are basic and simple, I think that simplicity isn't a deterrent or suggests an inferior product.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Minishdriveby.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26071

  • 7flow
  • 7flow's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 4539
^^ minishdriveby clowning yah


but I don't think gagan/jecht are making good arguments about the games. You can't hold simplicity or lack of puzzles against a game otherwise you would think journey or mario sucked.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by 7flow.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26072

  • Jecht
  • Jecht's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Did you say nerd?
  • Posts: 3966
7flow wrote:
^^ minishdriveby clowning yah


but I don't think gagan/jecht are making good arguments about the games. You can't hold simplicity or lack of puzzles against a game otherwise you would think journey or mario sucked.

Except that those games aren't carnival rides. Move forward to see the next attraction. They also don't play like absolute butt like brothers does.
Also Phillip spends a paragraph saying that the fantasy world just needs a interstate, instead of all these dumb fantastical elements. I'm not really sure what I can even say about this "critique"...

I reread the review, that's not what I said. I said it doesn't do anything with those elements and that they amount to walking down an office corridor looking into cubicles to see the different pictures everyone has up.

My biggest issue with the game is that it's emotionally manipulative but even then doesn't even earn its moments outside of a single one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26075

  • kabphillie
  • kabphillie's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • The Doctor is Real In.
  • Posts: 1355
FFVII is really better at 3X speed, and with the ability to turn off random encounters. I can actually get places! I'm already further than I had gotten in every previous attempt. I just passed Cosmo Canyon.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26077

Yo minish, play The Unfinished Swan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What are you playing thread of 2015 THE GOAT YEAR 4 years 2 months ago #26078

Blabadon wrote:
Yo minish, play The Unfinished Swan.
Minishdriveby wrote:
1. Super Time Force Ultra
2. Gears of War 3
3. JazzPunk
4. Chrono Cross
5. Metal Gear Rising Revengence
6. The Legend of Spyro: Year of the Dragon
7. Ristar
8. Savant: Ascent
9. The Unfinished Swan
10. Pushmo
11. Lego Marvel Super Hero
12. Comix ZOne
13. Ballpoint Universe
14. Primordia
15. Nidhogg
16. Pokemon Omega Ruby
17. Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
18. Ultimate DOOM
19. Castle Crashers
20. BattleBlock Theater
21. Guacamelee! Gold Edition
22. Full Bore
23. Super House of Dead Ninja
24. Half-Life
25. The Novelist
26. NOBY NOBY BOY
27. Mega Man X4
28. Rock of Ages
29. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
30. Eldritch
31. Typing of the Dead: Overkill
32. Transistor
33. MIND: Path to Thalamus
34. OlliOlli
35. NaissanceE
36. Fly'N
37. Race the Sun
38. Valiant Hearts
39. Super Meat Boy
40. Octodad: The Dadliest Catch
41. Metro 2033 Redux
42. Please, Don't Touch Anything
43. Shovel Knight
44. Spec-Ops: The Line
45. Never Alone
46. Grow Home
47. The Stanley Parable
48. Ori and the Blind Forest
49. Ephemerid: A Musical Adventure
50. NiGHTS into Dreams
51. Volgarr the Viking
52. The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D
53. Stacking
54. Papo y Yo
55. Burnout Paradise
56. The Witcher
57. Her Story
58. The Witcher 2
59. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
60. Neverending Nightmares
61. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
62. The Cat Lady
63. Betrayer
64. Grim Fandango Remastered
65. Costume Quest
66. Strike Suit Zero
67. Shank 2
68. Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
69. Final Fantasy III (DS)
70. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
71. Cities Skylines
72. Gunstar Heroes
73. Cibele

I did in January! I thought it was interesting, but I thought the beginning was a lot better than the end due to a change in mechanics in world design. I went into it without knowing what the game was--had only heard it mentioned before and it was $0.99 on PSN--so the first few minutes I was wandering around until I figured out the paint throwing mechanic.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Powered by Kunena Forum