Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Gameclub June 2017

Gameclub June 2017 3 months 3 weeks ago #34268

• silvur
  • Rendez-vous avec la mort

Community Pick: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Judge's Pick: Ratchet and Clank 2016
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Beacon_of_Truth.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Gameclub June 2017 3 months 2 weeks ago #34275

• kabphillie
  • The Doctor is Real In.
Judge's Pick is Ratchet and Clank (PS4, 2016)

Gameclub June 2017 3 months 2 weeks ago #34282

I have no real desire to replay Ratchet and Clank 2016 again, so I'll just play a different Ratchet game. But definitely down for a Revengeance playthrough.

Gameclub June 2017 3 months 2 weeks ago #34283

• silvur
Forgot they made a 2016 Rachet game.

Gameclub June 2017 3 months 2 weeks ago #34284

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
silvur wrote:

Not enough Hentai ladies for you.

Gameclub June 2017 3 months 2 weeks ago #34285

• silvur
Jecht wrote:
silvur wrote:

Not enough Hentai ladies for you.

No, there's like 0. In fact, don't even know why I'm playing any of these game club games.

Gameclub June 2017 2 months 3 weeks ago #34360

• silvur
Ratchet and Clank (2016)
-So so pretty to look at, like goddamn.
-Sometimes it's too colourful in that it's hard to see bullets coming.
-Humour was whatever, didn't do anything for me.
-It's nice to play a new R&C game after so many years.
-Don't think I'll need to play another one anytime soon though, they were aight.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
-Still so damn cool.
-Game is too cool.
-Game's soundtrack is underrated.
-Every boss fight is so good, except maybe Sundowner (see next point).
-Some of the blade cutting parts are a pain.
-Raiden's ass.

Gameclub June 2017 2 months 3 weeks ago #34361

Oh right we should probably pick a game.

Revengeance talk since I didn't play Ratchet n Clank 2016 again.

All in all I still dig it, it's my least favorite of the good Platinum games barring Nier: Automata not being better, but I also happen to really like Platinum's good games. While I like the stuff most people do, the feel of the combat, how absurd all of it is, the dynamic soundtrack, and of course Senator fucking Armstrong lol. I think the game has significant short comings that I would have loved to be addressed if Platinum ever went back to this style of game.

The biggest short coming being that the game needed on the fly weapon switching. Not that slowed down shit it has. It's bad enough that the sai really only has like two moves, and I don't care for how slow the Saw blades are, but I'm actively discouraged to change weapons in some cases, because it feels like you're giving options. Stupidly I used to think it was because light attack was the sword, and y was the alternate weapon, but that's how Bayonetta works, and any one weapon of Bayonetta has more depth than anything from Revengeance by comparison.

So the issue isn't that, it's just you're far too limited. Bayonetta could use an even more elaborate on the fly switcher so I had more than effectively 2 kits, but you're stuck with your one, with no real potential for some absurd combo ideas. And it's not like the game doesn't want you to do some flashy shit with the combos.

The sai are the only thing that make the flying enemies any fun to fight. Because they limit your kit a bit when you are fighting them in the early phase of their fight, and their attacks aren't particularly interesting.

I would like the gorillas more, if they didn't fucking make you waggle your shit when they stunlock you, in some cases they can do it like 3 or 4 times in a row. They bog the gameplay down, and far too often are used in closed spaces, which really gets frustrating as Revengeance's camera could benefit from backing up just a tad when I fight those clowns. Which then actively makes me tolerate the stealth in the game, because I don't want to deal with the gorillas, and the stealth sucks.

Besides my usual crusade against stealth gameplay being added to everything as part of the All-Game Initiative, it's also super watered down, and the game benefits better when it's all action town fun time. Plus having the B-button play more of a role in combat could have better served the gameplay than being relegated to opening doors and the stealth.

Otherwise, the game benefits from being short because I think the enemy pool isn't diverse enough to carry the larger stretches of a Kamiya game, the boss fights are mostly killer, except for Sundowner. And I'm not fond of any blade mode sequence that requires too much precision, but I love blade cancelling into and out of things.

Speaking of which, while it's no Bayonetta Dodge Offset, it's still a work of beauty in revengeance.

Otherwise, grand scheme of things I much prefer Ninja Gaiden's brand of block n dash, to this game's parry system. Because there are moments of sheer frustration when you get hit, and you feel like you parried. But I accept that as a catch 22 of the game's core gameplay: because the payoff is parrying everything monsoon throws at you, and you feel so fucking badass!!

I also think it be nice if Platinum rethought some of their upgrade screens in their games. Maybe cut down on some of the BS ones. Because Revengeance has some bs ones, doesn't ruin the game, but doesn't exactly give me a new toy to work with either like better upgrade systems in beat em ups, like say how DMC4 gives you moves n new command options.

I also don't care for finding vr missions in the game world as a knick knack.

Otherwise everyone's hip game is on point, Raiden's butt is some quality craftsmenship, Jetstream Sam is still hype, and yeah the soundtrack is killer.

You pick the next game Troll Bryan. Whatever you pick, unless it's some shit game I don't want to play, I will play unconditionally. Either way it's July's gameclub game lol.

Gameclub June 2017 2 months 3 weeks ago #34362

• silvur
Scrapping what I posted.

I'm gonna pick RE4 just cause. 12 years 5 month anniversary and all.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by silvur.

Gameclub June 2017 2 months 3 weeks ago #34364

Save RE4 for when the texture pack is done.
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds