Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Prey looks SO good

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34099

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
There are certain computers you can find that hold records of literally every NPC in the game, both living and dead, and you can use it to track them down if you believe they have important items, information, etc. It's the coolest fuckin thing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34106

The game is really fucking hard to put down.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34107

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
My copy should be here tomorrow. Word of mouth got to me.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34108

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Jecht wrote:

I dunno man, if you thought Mankind Divided was shit then you might have a real bad time with this game.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34109

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
Shake wrote:
Jecht wrote:

I dunno man, if you thought Mankind Divided was shit then you might have a real bad time with this game.

Boy I was playing System Shock before you even knew what a PC was.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34112

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Just a friendly heads up, I strongly recommend to anyone playing this that you don't put any points into the Leverage skill. It's completely useless.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34122

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
System Shock 3 is pretty good you guys.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34123

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
The only real problem I have with this game right now is the lack of any interesting characters. The only reason any of these people exist is to deliver expository dialogue so the game can have some kind of backstory. Actually the story in general hasn't been very good beyond that fantastic initial setup (which was super wonderful). After that things have kinda just been going... no where? But otherwise the game nails everything else that it needs to. The level design, exploration, atmosphere - that's all top-notch. I just wish the game had some kind of focused antagonist like SHODAN or Andrew Ryan, somebody to raise the stakes a bit.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34127

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
Eh I'm not super far in but I disagree. The story is the typhon and ultimately the main antagonist is
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

I like that this isn't yet another rapture/Columbia/von Braun. This is essentially just an office building with real living people who worked here. To me that gives it more personality than the anon splicers who want you dead for some reason.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34131

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Eh yeah, it is different from a lot of other stuff in that regard I suppose so I give it props for that. It just feels a bit too bland and straightforward though. There hasn't been any epic revelations, no emotional punches, no "aha" moments, nothing that lives up to that initial setup. Just doesn't feel like there's much at stake.

SOMA was sort of similar in the sense that the place you were exploring felt very lived in and real, and that game also sort of lacked any kind of a central antagonist, but I was infinitely more invested in that story because it was all tied together by a series of emotionally impactful and unforgettable moments.

I'm still hoping things pick up a bit later on but I've also heard mixed opinions about the ending. We'll see.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34133

Hate hate hate HATE 30 FPS in a first person game. Also never been a fan of Arkane's art style on consoles.

Might shelve this for the PC version tbh.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34140

Turns out the PS4 version also suffers from some pretty bad input lag, which is the bulk of my complaint so far. Otherwise, despite mediocre first person combat, I dig it.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34141

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Bleh, not gettin the complaints about the combat. I mean yeah it aint good, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It's made by motherfucking Arkane Studios ya derps. Also, and I ain't jokin here, I've actually witnessed people say that Bioshock 1 has better combat than this game. W in T actual F could possibly compel people to say such retarded things. Bioshock 1 has better combat than nothing. It's bottom barrel tier, and that game is mediocre at best, and I wish people would stop comparing it to this actual good game.

Sorry, I had to vent. Lately I keep seeing critics and forum users alike painting up Bioturd like it's some kind of masterpiece or some shit and then claim that Prey is stealing ideas from it. It's maddening.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Shake.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34148

Uh what? Dishonored's combat is genuinely fucking good, pls go.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34152

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
The melee combat? Lol it's horrible. The shooting is also butt.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34153

• 7flow
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

fun sure. good ehhhh no.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34154

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
My only problem with the combat is that they don't give you enough nueromods to spec into cool power and damage buffs as well as the things you genuinely need (for instance repair 2 is an absolute must in this game)

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34155

• Shake
  • LOOK AT MY SHIT
Jecht wrote:
My only problem with the combat is that they don't give you enough nueromods to spec into cool power and damage buffs as well as the things you genuinely need (for instance repair 2 is an absolute must in this game)

You know you can craft neuromods right? I'm only like half way through the game and I already have all the damage buffs, I can upgrade my guns to max, HP is at 200/medkits 300%, and I have hack lvl 3/repair lvl 2 on top of that. There is no shortage of neuromods.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34156

Shake wrote:
The melee combat? Lol it's horrible. The shooting is also butt.
It's a quick block, n stab, it's shallow, but it being weak is to keep you some what honest so you'll actually sneak around. And the shooting is more a stun, but even then the kick back knocks enemies down, and the cross bow is easy ass headshots on a mouse.

More to it in any given situation you can blink around cats, freeze time real quick, summon shit, you had those tripwire bombs. I'd say the combat part functions as it should for a stealth game, where you have some tools to work with so getting spotted isn't the worst. Like Metal Gear, except you know, not as good.

Otherwise I think the controls part of the games have always been great.

You're basically in hobo skeletor mode, but I don't necessarily think the action has the same issues, that I had with Prey's demo. Part of it was you just didn't have much to work with in the dmeo, the other part was, well yeah, the gunplay came off weak on the PS4 demo. But apparently that was lag or some shit.

That and general readings of Prey's combat, the issue seems to be how frenetic the enemies seem to be makes people think it's overly taxing. Which I can't speak to, but Errant Signal described it that when Zeruda went all super duper immersive sim sandbox like it did this year, it slowed the combat down to readjust. Not saying that's a solution or whatever, but none of those complaints would fit Dishonored.

Otherwise yeah typing this out, I don't know if I'd disagree that Dishonored's combat is whatever lol, but I think you get some really cool tools n options in that game to kill your enemies.
7flow wrote:
Beacon_of_Truth wrote:

fun sure. good ehhhh no.

I'll concede that I wouldn't go out of my way to just run around and kill dopes, I like more predator style using the stealth to kill people all assassin style, but I'll take that games action/killing mechanics over a lot of things, and more to it, it's a way more fun way to play that game than say it's ghosting play through.

Plus my larger point is, without playing Prey, I read a lot of the Prey complaints to be something I wouldn't associate with Dishonored. It just wouldn't fit.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Beacon_of_Truth.

Prey looks SO good 1 year 3 months ago #34162

• Jecht
  • Did you say nerd?
Shake wrote:
Jecht wrote:

You know you can craft neuromods right? I'm only like half way through the game and I already have all the damage buffs, I can upgrade my guns to max, HP is at 200/medkits 300%, and I have hack lvl 3/repair lvl 2 on top of that. There is no shortage of neuromods.

You can only craft a certain amount. I don't know how far I am but all I know is that every god damn room I enter has two technomorphs or telemorphs in it plus a weaver and I just fucking disintegrate before doing any real damage.

That's assuming a nightmare hasn't randomly spawned into the area upon arrival.